Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hummingbirds this year with bees  (Read 1720 times)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
hummingbirds this year with bees
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »
Ok this might bee a stupid question but, i am curious does anyone feed hummingbirds with bees in there backyard?  The reason I ask is hummingbirds feeders have sugar water in it.  I know that attracts bees.  What do you guys do?  I dont want to start a frenzzy at the feeders

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
Re: hummingbirds this year with bees
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:48:24 PM »
has not been an issue.  i have 3 feeders by the house.  sometimes the bees will check out a drip, but other than that, they leave it alone.
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:46 PM »
I had dead bee bodies in mine and had to remove it - who knew they would squeeze through such tiny little holes  :?

Linda T in Atlanta
http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You never can tell with bees" - Winnie the Pooh

Click for Atlanta, Georgia Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:33:06 AM »
Like kathyp I have three hummer feeders and the bees leave them alone.  The biggest problem is red wasps.  These will even go after the birds.  Got two in a moth trap. :-D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 03:59:33 PM »
We have 2 hummingbird feeders within a couple hundred feet of the hive and the bee's only occasionaly come by and eye the feeders, but never stop.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:45:31 AM »
Some of the hummingbird feeders are made to be bee proof.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

anything