Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 10:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Government at the alter  (Read 2145 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: May 16, 2007, 11:14:24 PM »

Guess what Texas wants to do. They want to double the price of marriage license..... UNLESS the couples to be wed go to marriage councilors.  Then the license is free. They figure this will help reduce divorce I guess.   

http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=2317

So are we ready to be micro managed by the government?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 05:34:09 AM by Jerrymac » Logged

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllanJ
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »

What I want to see is some license before people are allowed to produce offspring.. 
MarkR
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:52:08 AM »

Hear, hear!!
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 07:54:03 AM »

What I want to see is some license before people are allowed to produce offspring.. 
You are required to have a license for your dog. But anyone can have a kid.  Wink

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »

This isn't about license. I don't think people should have to get a license to get married. I'm wondering what you think about the government going in the direction of requiring people to get counseled before they get married. You know the whole thing about the camel getting his nose in the tent thing. This could actually lead to some government entity telling you who you can or can't marry. Wha-cha-think?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:48:19 AM »

i can see problems.  would the counseling have to be with  a state sanctioned councilor?  you usually have to pay for counseling unless it's your minister.  if you have to pay, i'd think most people would skip it.

there have been studies that show pre-marriage counseling is a benefit.  there have been studies that show divorce leads to higher social welfare costs.  many ministers will not marry a couple unless they go through marriage counseling with him/her.  i don't think that's a bad thing.

overall, i'd lean toward keeping the state out of mariage.....but then....i don't agree with licensing either.  licensing for anything is a form of taxation, and a way for the government to keep track of whatever is licensed.

we license our dogs so why not parents?  why dogs?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:02:35 AM »

we license our dogs

Haven't had a dog license in...... uummmmm....... Gee never I guess. And yes I have had many dogs. Got two now.

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »

that was "we" in a generic sense.  that's a tax i choose to skip also.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »

Presuming for this discussion a license should be needed to get married, why isn't it a good idea to promote counseling in exchange for a free license? If gov't is involved in marriage, promoting counseling might not be such a bad idea. Its less offensive than many other ideas governments come up with at times. Might do some people some good, save money, and deny money to government through "taxes' of this type. I license my dog, not because they ask, but in case my dogs gets lost and it helps in perhaps finding him through shelters and such. Also, 1/2 of my dog license fee goes to neuter animals for reduced fees at shelters, which I approve.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
wouldee
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »

I dont want to know about places that need a license to get married...
I wanna know where its illegal to get married....
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 05:12:48 PM »

As mentioned the counseling is probably going to cost something, probably more than the license. I for one do not believe in counselors. I think the are full of .............   Anyway. So let us say for grins and giggles that this catches on and becomes mandatory to see these counselors, and these counselors tell the soon to be married couple that they just are not right for each other. Will the state soon have the power to not allow this couple to marry?

Presuming for this discussion a license should be needed to get married,

Are you suggesting there is a way to be legally married without a license?

Jerry

AllanJ
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 05:50:57 PM »

The powers that the government have over us continue to increase year after year.. and everyone who votes for either of the 2 main parties are contributing to the problem and effectively agreeing for it to continue.
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »

so if you (those of you who stated this)think the government should not be licensing marriage then do you approve of gay marriage? i don't mean in the personal sense but in the legal sense.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 08:42:11 PM »

I think a person should be able to marry who they want to.

That does not mean I agree with the gay lifestyle.

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 08:43:30 PM »

if there were no licensing, there would be no "legal sense".  smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »

hmmm...this is true. good point.
I think not needing a license would screw up many other laws...which may not be a bad thing. Could any 2 people decide to file their tax return married filing jointly?
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:57 PM »

Presuming for this discussion a license should be needed to get married,

Some states have common law marriage. Pennsylvania is one of them. I think cohabitation w/ intent to "married" results in marriage, I f I reember correctly

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »

Some states have common law marriage. Pennsylvania is one of them. I think cohabitation w/ intent to "married" results in marriage, I f I reember correctly

Yeah I believe we have that also BUT don't you have to fill out some legal documents and have them filed at the court house @ some sort of fee?

Jerry

Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 06:43:40 PM »

I dont want to know about places that need a license to get married...
I wanna know where its illegal to get married....

Ask any gay couple in 45 of the United States that currently prohibit it.

Pennsylvania recently did away with  common-law marriage, which was marriage without a license.  There was no need to file any paperwork, just basically litigate it when you needed to prove it (such as when someone wanted alimony when they broke up . . .)  There might still be a couple states that recognize it.

-- Kris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next