Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 03:10:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SNAKE!!!!!  (Read 3456 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: May 15, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE

1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks.
Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown.

9 feet, 1 inch - 97 lbs.
This snake was recently found at the J&S Quik Mart located just south of RR 3014 Turnoff on Highway 281 south of Tow Texas. [That's west of Burnett, about 30 miles from Austin]

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:33:47 AM »

that's one to mount!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »

would love to try out that reciepe, but..there aren't that many snakes around here, not to mention they'r only what? 1/5 the size of this one..she really is BIG shocked
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »

I wear a size 10 boot. That will make some nice snakeskin boots.

I wouldn't eat it. To big. I want while they are young and tender.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »

Caught lots of snakes in my day. That one is huge.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:40:54 AM »

I had no idea rattlers got so big, I bekieve from my cowboy movies they are deadly, so I spose death was the only option for that beast.

Boots would be fantastiv, I bet the skin is worth a fortune.

Our snakes are too skinny to eat, "rubbish tucker" as the aborigines say.

Pythons have a bit of meat on em, but they are protected and dont realy bite.
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 09:18:33 PM »

I had no idea rattlers got so big, I bekieve from my cowboy movies they are deadly, so I spose death was the only option for that beast.

Boots would be fantastiv, I bet the skin is worth a fortune.

Our snakes are too skinny to eat, "rubbish tucker" as the aborigines say.

Pythons have a bit of meat on em, but they are protected and dont realy bite.
This from a man who lives in a country with some of the most poisionous, snakes, spiders, ants, and jellyfish.

The diamond back rattler really doesn't want  to bite you unless you do something to it. Basically they want to be left alone.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »

Someone asked me about the snake picture I have in photobucket so I had to bring this back up.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 06:38:57 AM »

Is that you holding the snake Jerry?
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 08:28:41 AM »

Jerry, holy smokeadoodle!!!!  That is one big honkin' snake.  Eeks!!!!  I love our little gardner snakes, that is about as big as they get here. That would have cooked up one beauty of a meal, yummeeeeee.  I heard that snake is exceptionally good.  Have a wonderful and great day, that is an awesome picture.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 10:55:44 AM »

No it ain't me. Don't even know the guy. My Sister-in-law sent the picture and recipe to me and I thought I would share it with you guys.

Jerry

bennettoidjr
Youth Group
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »

WOW!
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »

Jerry, Thanks for the story. I just thought the rattlesnake that I killed in my garden last summer was big. Now I know that it was a just a baby.

They say that it tastes like chicken. Chicken is cheap, why would anybody in their right mind eat something that looks so vile?

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 08:32:34 AM »

Steve, nice, that was actually what I would call a pretty big snake, wow.  The only thing was I had to turn my head sideways to look at it, hee, hee, made me kind of dizzy  Smiley Smiley  Love to see pictures that my forum friends post, keep 'em comin'.  Have a great and great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »

Cindi,
Turn your monitor  1/4 turn counterclockwise!! cheesy cheesy
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 11:39:07 AM »

Ken, funnnnneeeeee!!!  Tried to do that, couldn't detach it from the laptop, hee, hee.  Beautiful day, great day,  Cindi

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 06:38:16 PM »

wow they dont usualy get that big here,  i think i'll try my halibut beer batter recipe next time i run across one tongue

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:51 PM »

wow they dont usualy get that big here,  i think i'll try my halibut beer batter recipe next time i run across one tongue

You're in that little bitty state of Alaska. Ain't no room to grow up there.   grin

Jerry

qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

Wow!   I had a six foot cottonmouth that I had to kill about, twenty-five years ago, in south Georgia before it got my Chessie pup and then turned its attention to me.  Thought it would be cool to mount so I wrapped it in a damp towel in a plastic bag and froze it in the freezer.  It was in my front door in town.  I was called for a TDY and when I returned I had forgotten about it.  Since I kept a lot of strange things in my freezer at the time it never really caught my eye.  One day after a long day fixing broke planes I had just snuggled down and just dropped off to sleep when I heard a "WHAT THE *&@$%#+*&^! !!!  Who the _____ put that in...."  By that time I had run into kitchen and my buddy who stopped by for a beer was up against the wall farthest from the fridge pale as a sheet.  He had decided see if I had any ice cream (we were both brought up in small towns and worked together for years so we were a lot like family) and saw the bag.  Thought I had some venison and wanted to see what I had left.  He thought it weird I had a frozen towel in the bag but had learned not to ask.  When he opened the bag and peeled back the towel he had not only a snake staring at him from inches away, but one with its mouth open and fangs sticking down. 

Took a little while to settle him down.  I was happy to remeber the snake and then took a while for me to stop laughing.

Nothing I've seen beats that nine plus footer though.  Thanks for reminding me.

I was able to still get it stuffed and then it was stolen about a year later.

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »

I use to catch snakes all the time. I had all kinds of snakes. I use to deliver stuff to drilling rigs out in the oil fields. I had stopped out in the boonies to relieve my self when this cottonmouth came up out of a little pond to swallow a fish it had caught. I thought I would add that thing to my collection. It was probably six feet long. I found a good stick to pin it down with and had a burlap bag in the truck I was going to put it in. OH. By the way. This is the first cottonmouth I had seen in my life. And as I said I had caught all kinds of snakes.

I had a huge rattler that didn't like me at all. I kept him in the basement in a cage I made out of an old television console. Had glass on the front and screen on the back. You know how rattlers rattle when there is something approaching them? He would do that every time I went down the basements steps. This one time I came down the steps.... no rattle.... I peeked into the door and saw him still in the cage so I entered. Still no rattle. So I was thinking the poor thing had died and approached the cage. Just when I was with in range of the snake's strike zone, with out any warning, the thing struck at me, hitting the screen and squirted venom out about ten feet. The thing was laying for me. I decided to give it to a buddy that wanted to make a belt out of him.

Another aggressive but nonpoisonous  snake is called a coach whip. The one I had was about seven feet long and yes it would whip around when you pick it up and it would bite you if given a chance. If a nonpoisonous snake bites you, do not pull away. Their teeth curve to the back and leaves what looks like cat scratches if you yank your hand away.... only there are a lot of the scratches.

OH! Right. Back to the cottonmouth. So I had my bag and my stick and the snake had finished off it's fish. It saw me coming and headed for the water. I ran over and pinned it with the stick. the stick was too far behind the head to do any good as the snake turned around and was biting the stick. You should have seen the fangs on that guy. It was twisting and turning and wiggling and I was sure glad when I got away from that guy. I found out that day those things are vicious. If you do not have the proper equipment and the experience, do not try to catch one of those cottonmouths. It just might kill you.

Jerry

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »

Yeah, I'll stay away from the poisonous ones.  Not a problem here in MI.

Never been bitten, but I did have a garder snake poop on me once.  I think I'd rather be bitten.

Rick
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

Holy smokin' snakes!!!  Jerry and Rick, you both are completely and 100% out of your minds (but both your stories brought that smile to my face, along with that squeeky chuckle, hee, hee,  Wink Smiley Smiley).

I thank my lucky stars we don't have big snakes around here.  Personally, the only snake I have ever seen is that big fat ol' gardner snake that used to bask in the sun infront of my greenhouse on the gravel.  This particular greenhouse is not there anymore, nor is the old snake.  Don't know where it went, but haven't seen it in years.  Kind of sad.  Have a beautiful, greatest of days. Cindi

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 10:42:45 AM »

I've had a few snakes. We caught them up in the Everglades when I worked there for a short while. All kinds of snakes. Yellow rats, 7' long, lots of water snakes and pygme rattlers. Lots of legless lizards there too, they were cool. I was in Baton Rouge, while attending L.S.U. and was looking for a ball python. This guy had one in the paper, I wound up not buying it from him, cause it wasn't that pretty of a snake. Anyway, the guy had a 14 and a half foot Burmese python. Now that thing was big. Weighed like 200lbs. You should have seen it slither around on his floor, it was crazy. He fed it rabbits. As for as snakes pooping on you, its a defense mechanism, and yes it is foul smelling! Jerry, I've had several different types of snakes try and steal fish off stringers while fishing, some cottonmouths, mostly water snakes though. Cottonmouths are vicious, don't accidentally step on one, they are unforgiving.

Been there pooped on, JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

JP, interesting accounts of the snakes.  Now, something I don't get is -- isn't a legless lizard a snake?  How could it be anything else.  Tell that tale, hee, hee.

I can't stand snake poo, it really reaks for sure.  Been there, done that, even the little gardner snakes pack a powerful stink.  Wonder how big a big snake poo would be and how much it would stink, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days, Cindi

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/legless.html

Legless lizards are snake like, lizards.

Sincerely, JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next