Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 22, 2014, 06:30:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruminations on a spring walk  (Read 1998 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« on: May 14, 2007, 08:48:19 AM »

Could a morning be any nicer?  I just returned from my morning walk.  Spring is my favorite season.  I know, many are wowed by the colors of autumn.  To me autumn exists to prove there is beauty even in death.  But spring, the subtle greens of the new leaves, the flowering of the trees, even those not so showy, but such providers of early forage for our girls!  The new fresh curls of ferns sticking up between the lush (and stinky!) leaves of skunk cabbage, and the birds - twittering and chortling all around me as I walk.  The birds who wake me up at daybreak, singing their greetings to the new morn.  I just noticed the return of the orioles last week, their fluting sing-song with their raspy call note returns just as the leaves of the maples start to sprout.  Spring is over too soon, the heat of summer is trying to come in, but for now I'm enjoying the beauty of my favorite season.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:04:50 AM »

Ann, how beautiful, you are a gifted writer, you took me to your part of the world in a whisper of a moment.  Thank you.  I love the mornings too, but I do not go for walks.  My enjoyment is to sit on my front porch and watch and listen, the many species of birds keep me spellbound. 

We have a robin family that should be hatching out soon.  It amazes me how I can go to the edge of my bedroom patio and look up into the massive nest that these two parents have built for their babies.  It is about 4 feet from my reach, should I ever want to reach up, but never would.  They guard.  The male will sit in the burgundy maple tree that is outside my bedroom, he makes his call to tell his mate the coast is clear.  She leaves the nest to forage on our lawn, he flies to the nest to take over the duty of keeping the eggs warm, then flies back to the tree and she resumes her post on the eggs.  This is something I see over and over, it is amazing how they watch and protect, making very specific calls when the coast is clear to leave the nest.  Nature, where would our little lives be without this.  Have a wonderful day.  Great life and great health to all.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »

you guys are way to happy.  let me fix that  evil

barn swallows are eating my bees.  time for the shotgun!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 04:38:13 PM »

you guys are way to happy.  let me fix that  evil

barn swallows are eating my bees.  time for the shotgun!
grin Sorry, Kathy, had the opposite effect - I'm laughing!  grin

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »

oh come on Kathy! don't be so agrresive towards birds! HA! my hives are the base ground for the whole bird population.
we have 2 nests of barn swallows, god knows how many are scattered around the village, and sparrows, who don't eat bugs are picking everything! i don't see one bee walking on the ground, nor do i see dead bees, i gues sparrows are pickin' them up for their youth, i watched one..hehe picked up a drone, placed it on a curve, picked another one, went back to the first one, loaded them up and ...frrrrr.

besides, there's a saying
"where barn swallows nest, good people live"

besides aren't they beautiful grin

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »

shocked Holy bomb bay doors batman  shocked

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:19:09 AM »

Kathy, ha, you made me laugh too.  Now all I can say to you is "go, girl, go".  I feel exactly the same way about the yellowjacket and bald-faced hornet.  If they were bigger and I knew how to tote a gun, well, that is another story.  I admire that you have the ability to use a gun, and I also admire that you have no qualms about packing.  My Father tried to teach me how to shoot a shotgun when I was a teenager, I remember being at the driving range in a very secluded place.  My brother and myself, both had a quest to be taught this by our Father.  I couldn't stand the noise of the gun, so the lesson for me was short lived.  My brother learned how.  In retrospect, I wish that I would have brought some hearing protection and learned how to hone this art form, my hat off to you, girl.

When you head out on your horse for your overnight rides, you carry a gun.  I have very nice pictures brought into my mind about you and your horse, sleeping outside, you protecting her and yourself.  Wonderful.  Tell some stories some time about an overnight ride, I would love to go into that part of your world.

Good luck with the birds that are munching on your bees, I wish you well.  Have a wonderful day, best of health, Cindi.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »

these birds are out there dawn and dusk, skimming the field and scooping up my bees.  they did it last year too.  they are not nesting in my barn, but they must have found a good place near.

my father believed that if guns were to be in the house, everyone would have a working knowledge of how to use and maintain them.  then all of us ended up in the military where we got further weapons training.  3 of us ended up in specialties that required more advanced weapons training.  for me, the gun i carry is no different than the emergence kit i carry in my car, or the extra food and matches i carry in my saddle bag.  i don't expect to need the stuff, but i'd hate to need it and not have it  smiley

btw...reinbeau and cindi, mornings are beautiful and my favorite time of the day.....not to mention that the angle of the sun back lights those swallows........

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 10:45:21 AM »

swallows eat the mosquitos to! let them be
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »

yes they do, but i didn't pay for the mesquites!!   grin  bats eat mesquites.  i put up bat boxes.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »

nah, bats eat moths. mosquitos fly at dusk not at night.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 09:00:04 AM »

Mici, I don't know what kind of mosquitoes you have, but I can tell ya, our mosquitoes fly at night and they do this very well.  They fly late into the night.  I know that, we sleep outside alot in the summer, and they are still flyin' long after midnight.  I have seen the telltale signs of a late night mosquito bite!!!  Have a wonderful day, great life and health -- and watch out for the late night mosquitoes, they are manhunters.  Cindi

Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »

uh, we have LOT'S of mosquitos-i live right next to a Karst polje, so..there are small ponds almost all year round.
so..i get to see a lot of mosquitos, and i tell you, the number of mosquitos that fly at night is minute in compare with dusk numbers.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »

I have seen the bat/mosquito action first hand. It was out in the desert. We had a small travel trailer there. The door was open and we were sitting out side with a camp fire going. You could see shadowy apparitions zipping around in the night air above the fire. One even shot into the door and shot back out again. I had to wonder how they could go that fast and not plaster themselves on the wall opposite the door. Since the only other thing we could see in the fire light was mosquitoes we figured the bats were after them.   

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllanJ
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »

I can be in a field with 500 other people and when the mosquitos come out, they zoom straight for me and bite the crap out of me whilst leaving most others alone.  I think it is the rich royal blood in me..  Smiley
woodchopper
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »

I couldn't stand the noise of the gun, so the lesson for me was short lived.  My brother learned how.  In retrospect, I wish that I would have brought some hearing protection and learned how to hone this art form,
Ear protection is so important in many things we do. I couldn't imagine going target shooting WITHOUT hearing protection.

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »

I have barn swallows in the barn, house sparrows in the japanese honeysuckle on the side of the porch, and english sparrows around and about.  The house sparrows clean up the grass around the bee hives, taking away the dead bees.  The barn swallows haunt the water retention pond from the housing development next door.  There's a lot of mosquitoes there.  But the swallows do a good enough job that i don't get bothered by mosquitoes very much.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next