Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 08:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free bees for me!!! Whoo Hoo!!!  (Read 3056 times)
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 11:01:24 PM »

I buy mine supplies on line in quantity if possible.  You can usually get a price break when you buy 5 or more.  Also I shop around.  I might buy my boxes from Western Bee and my Frames as 2nds from Mann Lake @ 25 cents each.  I make my own slatted racks, SBB, inner covers and tops because they don't make what I use.  My local Skagit county bee supplier Lange's Honey in Burlington is a Mann Lake dealer, I can get the stuff sent to me using volume discounts and pay shipping and still pay less for what it costs to drive 20 miles and purchase stuff.  The Big boys (Mann Lake and Dadant) seem to be the most expensive on the more popular and necessary items.

Buying it unassembled is the way to go.  That's why god invented winter--So beekeepers had time to build their hives and supers.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »

Hey guys!

Looks like my co-worker is right, they are honeybees.  Italians even!  Kinda weird they decided to move into that small bird box, but I guess it'll be a easy first cut out for me!  He said they've been in there for a month now and are coming and going, bring in lots of pollen.  This coming payday I'm gunna buy a Nuc from Rossman.  Unfortunately my digital camera broke (daughter thought it needed a drink of milk), so pics are out.  Maybe I can borrow one from someone.  I'm really excited about this and can't wait!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
UtahBees
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »

Keep us posted - I'm excited for you!

UtahBees

Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 05:32:41 PM »

Thought I'd give yall an update.

Ends up they're not honeybees after all.  My co-worker told me they were Italians and everything and he was TOTALLY sure.  Yeah right.  Italian bumblebees maybe.  I was pretty dissapointed when I got a close look and saw they were freakin bumbles.  I'm not sure why he thought they were italians, looked nothing like a honeybee.  Solid black with a single yellow stripe behind the head?  Nah man, not even close.  Plus they were twice the size of a honeybee!!!

Oh well, no free bees for me and now I have a complete nuc with nothing to put in it.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 10:00:18 PM »

Yeah,
But you're like a boy scout! Always prepared for that next swarm!
Good reason to swoop up extra equipment too! Better luck next time!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next