Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 02:12:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suing the maker  (Read 2683 times)
beefree
House Bee

« on: June 16, 2004, 09:04:15 PM »

ooooh-kay.  i just read the "that's outrageous!" column in the latest Reader's Digest which is all about how dangerous teenagers' summer jobs are...
some 16 year old kid working at a golf course lost control of the golf cart and ran into a wooden deck where he got pinned and died.  This is a tragedy.  HOWEVER, the "grief-stricken mother" is suing the country club's board of directors (who all have Directors and Officers Insurance... i ought to know, i used to underwrite it and the ins. co. is always a deep pocket for attys to go after) AND SUING THE GOLF CART MANUFACTURER .  EXCUSE ME?  DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR???   The scary thing is... that wasn't even the point of the article.  

Let's quote some more "Then there are the thousands of teens who are burned each year by grease and steam in fast food restaurants, or cut by knives and meat slicers in grocery stores."  I spent two years of high school working for Mickey D's and let me tell you, those little droplet sized burns from the oil in the deep fryer were just life threatening.  GET REAL!  Use some common sense when dropping the fry basket into the oil...Don't throw it!  Can you say "fear-mongers"?  paternalistic journalistic garbage.

I am waiting for the next article to say that no one under 35 should be allowed to serve in the armed forces.

beefree,  just steamin'

Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 03:54:27 PM »

Beefree,

I got this the other day from a collegue. I think you'll enjoy it.
They say People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why ...........

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's,50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.
(Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

beefree
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 08:09:28 PM »

yeah, we had fun.  there was this game we made up in our neighborhood called "lava monster" ...we played in 6-8 yards, front and back, on both sides of our dead end street, with bikes, big wheels, and skateboards set at various strategic locations to cross the street and driveways (the "lava") and the three or four oldest guys in the neighborhood would chase the rest of us and tag us out  by heaving nerf footballs at us.  only the lava monsters could run across the concrete,... there were other silly rules, but it was just a glorified game of tag.  we loved it.  i wish my kids could do stuff like that...

beefree, feeling nostalgic now, instead of steamed

PS i never see kids leaping from the top of jungle gyms anymore, come to think of it, i don't see jungle gyms anymore...

snowzerdog
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 10:23:09 PM »

What you didn't know that some kid got hurt and the parents sued to have all fun stuff that causes pain abolished.  It's funny but more kids get hurt skiing or skateboarding than did on jungle gyms.  What we need is more laws to protect us from ourselves. Just kidding  If the darn goverment wuold stay out of my private life This would be a better place to live.  I had a few friends say Canada is looking better all the time as a place that has more freedom than here.  As Russia became more democratic I noticed that this country is becoming more restrictive.  One law we should have is that lawyers cannot become politicians

God doesn't owe you anything, but you owe everything to God!
beefree
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 09:17:39 PM »

If Canada didn't have such stupid restrictive gun laws, i'd consider it, too.  My better half is up there fishing now... you'd think, with all the lakes in MI he'd find one a little closer... i think he's just afraid the baby's crying would wake him from anything less than a few hundred miles away...
I think I'm pretty much left with Switzerland as my last resort.  Now if only somebody in the family still spoke the language...
beefree

lurkr
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »

wink AAAMMMEEENNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROBO
golfpsycho
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 10:29:50 PM »

You see it every day in America.  For a number of years, I flew hangliders.  A kid crashed into some power lines, and was electrocuted.  His family sued the kite manufacturer, the harness manufacturer, and the power company!!   I think it is incredible that he participated in a high risk activity like flying divers, and his family sued the power company because he was inept.  Of course, we were also banned from that site afterwards
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 12:50:45 AM »

Yeah, if I thought like some people in this world, I'd be sueing tons of people. I could start with the Jello company for making such fattening cheese cakes I used to eat as a kid. Then Ben & Jerry's ice cream company would come next. And somewhere in there I could not only sue for making me overweight, but diabetic too. Woe is me - they shoulda had a warning label.

Never understand people like that. OH - and get this - I know someone that actually fought and WON - saying they can't work because of PMS. They get disability!! Now I should go for that one too. (Believe me, this woman is no worse off than the average woman. She has normal experiences with PMS, but she just feels she can't cope. It's mild enough that she's on no special meds like pain killers and anti-depressants.)

Beth

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next