Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 23, 2014, 01:34:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disturbing IRAN connection at my workplace. Your thoughts please.  (Read 1172 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: May 03, 2007, 04:48:43 AM »

Today I discovered that we have imported radiant tiles for heaters from Iran.

I am upset about this, and I intend to make my feelings known to senior management (again!)

I just dont like the idea of this country getting cash and sending it back to us in the form of terrorism one day.

Am I over reacting? what is the US stance on Iranian imports at present?

I am reminded of the 1940s when our Wharf labourers refused to load pig iron onto japanese ships before japan entered the war. History proved them to be correct, and they stood firm despite being called commies etc. Our PM at the time was called Pig Iron Bob for the rest of his life.

It just doenst sit right with me.
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:56:59 AM »

or maybe you could change your thinking a little and realize that the more a country like Iran depends on exports to the US for its economic health the less likely they would want to damage that relationship.
oops....i forgot you aren't from the US. well the same applies to all 'western' aligned countries.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »

mick, i am with you.  the current leader of iran is a radical nut.  his bosses, the ayatollahs, 
 are equally nuts.  iran has been nothing but trouble for the entire world since the 70's.  they have directly and indirectly supported terrorism all over the world.  terrorism is their main export, supported by their oil money.

since some people seem to object to nuking them, starving them out is the second best bet.

you are not wrong.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllanJ
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »

or maybe you could change your thinking a little and realize that the more a country like Iran depends on exports to the US for its economic health the less likely they would want to damage that relationship.
oops....i forgot you aren't from the US. well the same applies to all 'western' aligned countries.

Unfortunately, it does not work that way. You are applying western style thinking to a middle eastern culture. The best thing we can do is to stop our dependency on oil.  Once the west stops buying oil, or it runs out, they will have nothing to export. Nothing to sell and nothing to buy food with. If you think the region is unstable now, just wait until that happens.
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »

I think your heading in the right direction Allen.  I like america being in control of our own food, can you imagine depending on some other country for food like we do with oil?

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 09:51:47 PM »

You might be shocked by how much food America imports these days.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
sandhya
New Bee

March 2007 Rakkasah Festival

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »

You are free to voice you disconcern to your boss...consider not all people in all countries are free to voice their concerns. Exercise your freedoms, the entitelment people and  special interest groups constantly take it for granted.

I often think about my costumes that I get that are from Turkey, Egypt and the likes....we bellydancers pay bucks for our costumes yet I know some little poor peasant woman is sitting there (with bloody fingers) collecting a half a penny for every dollar the middle men bring in....its a shame, but the same goes for your tiles....the poor peasant who poored and formed those tiles is not the person making the money...its those middle men!! angry

Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next