Welcome, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.
I didn't make the final decision to enter into the hobby until a few days ago, but I have always wanted a hive.
I always thought that my plot of land was too small (100x90), but then two things happened. One I stumbled upon this site, and saw that others were making do with small plots of land. Two a good friend just purchased 10 acres of land about 30 minutes from me.
I've pretty much resigned my self to not buying bees this year, but don't let that influence your decision.
As it stands my plan is to:
1. Gather all the information I can.
2. Gather all of the equipment needed, for several hives, with associated support equipment and nucs.
3. Make contacts in the local bee community, and try to get some hands on.
4. Join a local club, and offer up some volunteer man power.
5. Keep an eye on the local feral hive, for swarming. If they swarm I'm going to try and capture it.
So thats my plan.
Welcome to the forum.