Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 02:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This robin has gone nuts!!!!  (Read 1563 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: April 15, 2007, 10:35:13 AM »

There has been a robin(s) banging into all the windows on my house this past 4 or 5 days.  It is driving me crazy.  I can hear it banging all over the place, I go and scare it away whenever I hear it.  My husband even hung a CD outside our bedroom window in an attempt to stop it.  It goes to ALL the windows.

Anyways, we are at our witts end and my husband finally went on the internet and it indicated that the robin sees its reflection in the window and things it is another male.  Obviously the birds are very territorial.   This is the first year that I have ever seen this happen, so I just don't get it.  Oh well.  It is only annoying when I am in the house, so maybe I will just go outside more. LOL.  I don't mind that, I kind of like being outside.  It is just the early morning when I can't/won't go outside because it is too early.  So, I guess I just have to suck it up.  Keep jumping up and scaring it away so that it doesn't keep "knocking" on the window.  I am worried that it will hurt itself.

I haven't seen it today yet, so maybe it has found someone else's windows.  Have a wonderful day, good health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »

my mom had that happen.  she went to the craft store and got some window paint. she put it over the window and that solved the problem.  anything that breaks the reflection will work.  wet sidewalk chalk, etc...

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:20:09 AM »

Kathy, now that all sounds wonderful in theory.  I have so many windows though, it would be a huge endeavour.  Besides, the windows were all washed yesterday  grin, so I do not want to mess them up.  HOpefully the robin will get over the robin looking back at him.  Have the beautiful, wonderful day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »

Didn't Alfred Hitchcock make a movie about something like this?

evil

Sincerely,
Brendhan.

PS. Mel Brooks did a great parody of it in High Anxitey.

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »

There's a cardinal that hangs out in the yard across the street from me who does the same thing to their windows, especially the porch windows.  He also spends lots of time attacking the cardinal in the car mirror on the door  cheesy  He's a riot, I don't know how he doesn't hurt himself. 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
buzzbeejr
Josh
Youth Group
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 05:13:07 PM »

cindi maybe you shouldn't use windex next time grin

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 09:01:57 AM »

Well, yesterday things did seem to calm down somewhat with this robin, only had to scare him away a couple of times in the morning.  But, yeah, like that cardinal, now yesterday he was attacking my daughters car windows.  Oh brother.  Oh well, what can ya do, just hope that he doesn't get hurt, surely.  Have a wonderful, beautiful day, Cindi 

mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 03:48:18 AM »

Its spring over there, its seeing its reflection and thinking its another bird, so its defending its territory.

Over here, there is a crazy magpie lark that lives at the train station. Each time a train pulls in, if flys up and down the 6 carriages, eyeballing the pesky intruder it sees in the windows, than sits on the fence to wait 20 minutes for the next one.

You see it thinks hes scaring off the intruding birds as the train leaves every time. These birds often attack the side mirrors of cars waiting at the lights for the same reason.

Dogs do the same thing with the postman. AHA says the dog, I run and bark and he leaves, Im a brave doggie and my strategy works, hes scared of me, I win and when he returns tomorrow, Ill win again!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 08:53:58 AM »

Mick, ha, now that stuff is funny, it made me laugh.  Too bad these critters don't have brains as big as us humans eh?  LOLL.

Right, the postman, I am sure that is what goes on in the pea brain of the dogs.

Now, I gotta wonder about when the dogs bark.  We yell at them to stop.  Maybe they keep on barking cause they think that we are barking too!!!  Encouraging them to keep on barking.  The only way that I can get my dogs to figure out that they HAVE to not bark at certain times is to stand there with my water bottle sprayer.  Then they know that I mean business when I say, 'no barking".  But that is a pain in the butt for sure.  They don't particularly enjoy when I shoot them with the mist.  But there are times when they have to plain and simply, shut up!!!

Mick, you haven't told us much lately about what is going on with your bees.  Tell us some stories.....love to hear them you know.

Have a wonderful day, beautiful day, good health.  Cindi

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:49:59 PM »

The Robin has not been attacking our window for over a week or so, but man, oh man, what a nest they have built alongside our bedroom patio, along a ledge. I really don't know how big this nest is going to get. But they are not nesting yet in it, just building.  I see them bringing in long, long pieces of moss, twigs and branches.  They look like they might be wanting to bring up dinosaur babies or something.  They do not mind me, and I do not mind them (except for the little bit of exta debris that they are emitting from their pretty little bodies).  I don't care, I will help to keep their area clean.  I have a mop and some water.  Have a beautiful day, glorious sunshine.  Good health to all.  Cindi

randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

we have a cardinal that does that. he loves the mirrors on my school bus and all the other vehicles as well. he doesn't clean up after himself. my wife hung a mirror in a tree hoping he would just use that one but that hasn't worked. he likes the bathroom and bedroom windows too. vanity will get the best of him.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »

Sounds like your cardinal is a peeping tom.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next