Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why not try small cell?  (Read 11727 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Why not try small cell?
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »
>The cell size has nothing to do with bees developing resistance, it is all about the bee.

I think the bees are building resistance in other ways over time, but that was not my experience.  On large cell with no treatments they all died.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessctheories.htm

Seeley's latest research points towards the resistant ferals being smaller...  interesting...
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline Jim 134

• Super Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »

Seeley's latest research points towards the resistant ferals being smaller...  interesting...

If you have ever been to Tom Seeley's seminars you will notice he does not focus on one thing why bees makes it in the wild.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online little john

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »
Bees lived for thousands of years without foundation. Why not let them continue what works for them?

Because human beings are clever. They are always seeking to gain More and More from Less and Less - this paradigm being termed 'efficiency', which is considered by them to be a good thing.

And so we have bigger cells, bigger bees, bigger queens, bigger colonies, more and more honey, more and more money. It's always about "More and More" - always.

Unfortunately, although clever, human beings are sadly lacking in wisdom. Nature has established the 'norms' - in terms of cell size, colony size, and so on - over millions of years. These work, and have proven sustainable over that extended time-scale.

But we modern humans think we can improve on this. 'Improvement' meaning "More and More" of course, rather than staying with what has been proven to work over countless millennia.

The skeppists of the Middle Ages used to cull both their weakest, AND their strongest colonies - intuitively recognising that average performances are the one's to nurture for the long-term, not those which out-perform the others, for I presume they suspected that this increase in performance would have a hidden price-tag attached.

Selecting for the average, and not for the 'best' (undefined) - I wonder if such a reversal in thinking could ever be embraced ?

LJ