I first tried HSC in two hives interspersed with regular brood foundation, and the bees ignored it. I tried spraying them with 1:1 sugar solution, and they still ignored it. I then put an excluder over the brood boxes (one deep and one medium), and except for ONE HSC frame with just two worker cells in it, they were ignored (a few had pollen in them, but no honey) -- all the brood was crammed into the upper medium. I have since given up and taken out all of my HSCs from my hives.
I will take the recommendation of the manufacturer, and start off a queen package using HSCs, and locking the bees with their new queen in a deep for three days, and feeding them syrup. If that doesn't work, look for my HSCs o Ebay!