Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 02:35:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new daylight savings time saved ..........nothing  (Read 2299 times)
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« on: April 03, 2007, 10:44:13 PM »

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070403-the-daylight-savings-change-no-savings-no-point.html

Yeah but I got some overtime out of it. Maybe they will let it expire and I earn some more. I doubt it though.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:45:51 AM »

No kidding it didn't save anything.  They tried this back in the early 70's when I was still in high school (graduated in '74).  It was a failure then, it's a failure now.  I hate DST, I wish they'd leave the clocks alone.  People still get up at the same time, if you're an early riser then you're using the lights in the morning instead of at night....doh!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:18:38 AM »

I don't mind daylight savings time in general. It does help with the shorter winter sunlight hours. The problem I had was the reason they changed it. Simply because they believed it would cut down on energy use. It didn't.

Daylight savings time serves a purpose. Around December 21 sunlight hours are roughly sunrise 7:20 AM and sunset around 4:40 PM. As the day lengthens DST moves that daylight time into the afternoon and evening. Don't get me wrong we are not moving the sun or changing the actual amount of time the sun shines on the earth. We are just changing the perspective. Having it get dark by 5pm sucks. Especially if you have those naggy parents as a kid who would say be home by dark.

They did change it in 74 and 75 due to the oil embargo. And you are right it didn't do anything then and it didn't do anything now.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:00:31 AM »

Brendhan, interesting, daylight hours.  Where I live around the winter solstace, our sun rises about 8:04 and sets about 4:20.  EEEKS!!!!  that is alot of darkness, or should I say short days.  I would love to live up further north at times when I see that in the summer it hardly gets dark at all.  BUT then, not much chance to revel in the intoxicating fragrances of the night flowers.  Oh well.....have the best day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »

Yeaa, but I get to see my bees w/ DST earlier in the year b/c its not dark when i get home. I can do some outside chores, making time for bees on w/e.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »

I think it is great that they gave us an extra hour of daylight.  I just wish they would have made it 2 hours...I could use more daylight.   rolleyes

Rick
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:00:37 PM »

Seriously, though, think about all of the money that this little change pumped into the economy!  All those poor programmers working overtime to fix all of the dst bugs!!!  We're saving millions, plus all these money grubbing tight fisted evil corporations had to shell out billions to fix the problems!  The politicians are good for something!  HA HA!

The funny thing is that I read about how much more gas would be used because people are using the time to go places.

I'm embarassed to admit that it was my local representative (R) that proposed this little piece of money-sucking big number little saving nothing.  I suppose it diverted their attention for a day from making new taxes.  They can't do math on their budget, I didn't much expect them to try with this deal.

Rick

Rick
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »

I think it is great that they gave us an extra hour of daylight.  I just wish they would have made it 2 hours...I could use more daylight.   rolleyes

Now I've got to ask you - why do you say 'they gave us an extra hour of daylight'?  Because they didn't do any such thing.  An act of congress didn't change the number of hours the sun is in the sky! 

Sorry to zoo on your post, but this is the thinking that makes me nuts.  In another post Cindi says
Where I live around the winter solstace, our sun rises about 8:04 and sets about 4:20.  EEEKS!!!!  that is alot of darkness, or should I say short days.
  So what I want to know is what difference is it if the sun comes up at 7:04 am, 6:04 am or 9:04 am?  The day is still only going to last eight hours and sixteen minutes or so, messing around with the time doesn't change a thing but...the time.

I'm an early morning riser anyways, so all this time switching does is mess up my internal clock.  Leave it alone and live with Mother's time, it's easier that way.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 06:17:48 PM »

Some people get off work rather late. Isn't it nice they can come home and do some of the things they like to do while it is still light out? No it doesn't add to or take away from the hours of sun light but it changes it (the time) around so it seems there is more time in the day.

But you knew that is what was meant.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »

I do understand it, Jerry, but for people like me, who already utilize the whole day (including the morning) it's pretty meaningless..  There was a piece on the NBS news tonight about how it really is kind of useless in this day and age where we're all basically working 24/7 - there is no net gain for energy conservation with this change.  The old daylight savings time is fine, I hope they go back to it.

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 09:55:02 AM »

Well, I am afraid to say, but I do enjoy DST, it means that I can work outside longer after supper, and the weather after supper is warmer than the early morning temperatures.  If the morning is a little darker than after supper, that is OK.  I get to spend the morning time on the forum, enjoying this quiet time of life.  But, as the summer approaches, the days get longer, I know that I will be getting outside in the morning to have fun in the yard too, early.  I love to do my gardening in summer in the early morning when the air is still cool from night.    Have a beautiful day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
MarkR
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »

I must admit, I'm liking it.  It gives me more daylight after work to get everything done. . .  well, make it more likely that I'll get everything done. . . well, it gives me time to get more done. . . okay, well, I just like it.  I get up a five anyway.  It's dark no matter what time of year it is.

Mark
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »

MarkR.  I can't wait for the summer solstace.  I know that around that time when I get up in the morning, it is absolutely light enough to see.  I am citing an example of 4:30.  It is light outside at that time, up in our slightly more northern hemisphere.  Only for a short time, then the night becomes longer, minute by minute, day by day.  By that time, I am looking forward to the daylight to not be so long and the nights longer too.   LOLL.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi

MarkR
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »

True, Cindi.  Let me change what I said.  Its darkISH when I get up no matter what time of year. grin  I do like that dawn time in the summer.

Mark
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »

so much talking about time and getting home earlyer. now, i was wondering, wehn do you start working, how many hours a day and when do you come home, plus how long does it take to get to work.

we are slowly getting into the EU time, which i HATE, that is, start at let's say 9 or 10 am and get home at 4 or 5 pm, that SUCKS!!!
fortunatelly mostly people still start at 7am and work till 3pm, so...you're active at around..4 pm, at home of course.. it would be better if work started at 6 Undecided, this is all because of lights computers TVs...this would be a way to save electricity, to get everyone to work at 6am, that way, no one would stay after...11 pm, well very little.
MarkR
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 04:56:47 PM »

Hell, I'm an elementary school teacher.  I work all the time.  Seriously though, I get to work around 6:30 and get home by about 3:30 in the afternoon.  I have about a 20 minute drive each way.  Gives me lots of time to work outside here, making the later daylight much appreciated.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »

It depends.  Many manufacturing type jobs are 7-3:30, but offices are 8-5 or 9-5 (but usually you're there longer!).  I know people who commute just a couple miles, and I know people who spend two hours each way to get to work.  All depends on where the work is.  Right now I'm in training to become a Pilates instructor, I'm sure I'll be travelling all over the place once work really gets going.  But it'll be different all the time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next