Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 04:42:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first swarm of the season  (Read 606 times)
LET-CA
House Bee

« on: March 14, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »

I got a call today right at 5:00 pm from a gentleman who had a very small swarm in his back yard on the ground.  I grabbed a nuc box and got them inside in just a few minutes.  I'm not sure if there's enough bees to even survive though.  The total mass looked about the size of your fist.  I've left the hive at his home for the evening to let the stragglers move in during the night.  I also put in a frame feeder to give them a good meal.  I hope to get several swarms this year along with the package bees I've already ordered. 
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:51:24 PM »

Did you use a queen excluder as a means to keep the queen in the box? If not I would suggest showing up really early and put one on. Or you might find the bees gone.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 06:43:56 AM »

a frame of brood will help keep them from leaving also plus give them a population boost, it is also a good thing to add a empty frame of drawn out comb also if you have one so the queen can start laying right-a-way.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
LET-CA
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »

Picked up the nuc tonight and brought it home.  The bees are all safely inside and working on the comb.  There's not a lot of them so I don't have too high of hope for thier survival though.  The homeowner had hit the swarm twice with a garden hose to knock them off his home.  Time will tell.  Photos are at my smugmug site.  Look at smugmug.com and do a search for Lenny Taylor (I can't do links yet.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next