Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 12:31:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The great Billy Thorpe has died  (Read 1027 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: February 28, 2007, 02:35:20 AM »

I saw him play last weekend. For 40 years he was bigger than Elvis here, bigger than The Beatles.

Thorpie died early this morning at St Vincents Hospital Sydney, after a massive heart attack.

So sudden, so sad, so unexpected.

At Chelsea Heights Hotel in suburban Melbourne, Thorpe belted out the hits that made him a household name to a near-capacity crowd of 500 last Saturday night.

Hotel manager Andrew Murray said the venue had been inundated with calls from fans, some hoping for posters as a lasting memento of the rock icon, who started performing as a child on a Brisbane television variety show, before shooting to stardom in the 1960s with his band The Aztecs.

"Some people who had been to the concert on Saturday night rang up with the news," he said.

"I was shocked ... just a few days ago he was up on stage and looked in pretty good shape.

"It was a really good show. He played for over two hours on stage himself. The crowd was really into it.

"When he did Most People I Know he strummed the first chord and the whole place erupted and sung the song, pretty much the first verse, for him."

On his website, 'Thorpie' thanks his fans for their support and expresses excitement about the release of a new solo album and DVD due out next month.

"Looking forward to seeing you at my shows over the next few months. Keep safe and be good to one another," he says.

"Keep rockin. Thorpie."

Legendary singer/songwriter Brian Cadd compared Thorpe to Johnny O'Keefe, describing the pair as Australia's "two most enigmatic and dazzling rock stars".

Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs sold out concerts and topped charts in the 60s and 70s.

Thorpe's music career spanned five decades, including more than 10 years recording concept albums in the United States.

Cadd said Thorpe's diversity and commitment let him survive so long in the challenging music industry.

"He's not that easy to chew up and spit out - he's got a lot of ammo," Cadd said.

"He just believed in rock and roll and ate, drank and slept and his whole life was consumed by it.

"And when you've got somebody coming at you with that kind of unbridled enthusiasm and belief, it's really tough to knock him over."

February 28 2007. The day the music died.

Vale Billy Thorpe

Do yourself a favour, listen to "Somewhere over the rainbow" by Billy Thorpe.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »

It is always a sad loss when we lose one of our great singers.  thanks for the post Mick.  Best of the best days.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 08:59:34 AM »

Mick, my husband has looked up Billy on the net and he wanted me to ask you what was the definitive Billy Thorpe album?  He only slightly recalls this man and would like to know more about what was his work.

He also wants me to ask you if you have heard of the Hoochy Koochy Men?  They are Australian he thinks.  Best of the best days.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »

I still have Children of the Sun, 21st Century Man on vinyl

A great artist, he will be missed.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:43:09 AM »

BILLY THORPE AND THE AZTECS ALBUMS:
Poison Ivy (EP) - 1964
Sick n' Tired (EP) - 1964
On Stage (EP) - 1964
I Told The Brook (EP) - 1965
Stand By Me (EP) - 1964
Love Letters (EP) - 1964
Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs- 1965
Don't you Dig This Kind of Beat (reissued as: I Got A Woman)1966
The Hoax Is Over - 1970
Live (At Melbourne Town Hall) - 1971
Live at Sunbury - 1972
*MOVIE Sunbury (1972)Concert film
Stars of Sunbury - 1972
More Arse Than Class - 1973
The Great Australian Rock Festival/Sunbury - 1973
Summer Jam -1973
Thump'n Pig & Puff'n Billy - 1973
Steaming At the Opera House -1974
1,000,000 Bill - 1974
Pick me up and play me loud - 1976 BILLY THORPE AND THE AZTECS COMPILATIONS (Greatest Hits):
Best Of - 1965
Great Hits - 1972
Rock Classics - 1974
Gold - 1975
Time Traveller - 1980
It's All Happening - 1981
Anthology Vol. I - 1994
Lock Up Your Mothers - 1994
The Best and the Rest of:'Lock Up Your Mothers' - 1995
The Classic Rock Collection - 1996

BILLY THORPE U.S. ALBUMS:
Children of the Sun - 1979
21st Century Man - 1980
Stimulation - 1981
East of Eden's Gate - 1982
Children of the sun - Revisited - 1987
The Zoo - Shakin' the Cage - 1992

For me it would have to be More arse than class, but how do you choose?

I think Long John Baldry had a band called the Hoochie Cochie men in the 60s, I was in nappies. Try this link!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_Baldry
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:29:21 PM »

Wow, nice list.  My hubby said that there was an Australian Band called Hoochie Coochie Men.  There is a great great album called John Lord (he is from Deep Purple) and Hoochie Coochie Men Live at the Basement.  Nothing to do with Long John Baldry.  By the way, I loved that dude's stuff.

He says the album is really great.

Google, the Hoochie Coochie Men.  Check it out.  Greatest of days.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next