Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 04:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: did i ever tell of when we got lost?  (Read 4637 times)
buzzbeejr
Josh
Youth Group
Field Bee

« on: February 25, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »

I just thought i would give people a reason to know how to read and understand maps before going on a hike...Buzzbee this message was mostly for you.
 O.k. so a couple of years ago we were spending the weekend at our friends cabin like most years when dad(buzzbee) gets the great idea of going on a hike. Doesn't sound so bad yet, does? Read on. It was supposed to be about an hour or two hike if that and only a mile or so. We follow the markers on the trees and then we got lost. What had happened, there was a split in the path so dad decides to take the one that  goes uphill like on the map. We then decide we are completely lost. So i make the suggestion of turning around and following the trail back the way we came,but, they decided not to do that which i thought would have made the most sense. so we keep walking and a few hours later we return right where we went in so instead of just turning around we made a full circle. Now keep in mind i was only 5 or 6 so dad carried me most of the way and it was sleeting. After returning we figured it out that we must have been gone for about 5 or more hours and went about 9 miles or so. So to make sure you don't have a hike like i did,next time you go on one make sure you know what route to follow and how to read a map.

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »

reading a map is great.  knowing how to use a compass and plot a course is better.  owning a GPS is priceless!!  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:10:48 AM »

Josh, go get him!!!  LOL.  YOu were really lucky that you guys got out of the bush safely.  When I read little stories like that it makes my heart start to get really pumping.  I think that I actually get an out of body experience and picture myself right there in the story with ya.  It was a good story, I am grateful that things turned out the way that they did.  I bet your Dad was really tired after carrying his little boy for so long, he was probably terrified.  You have the best day, guy.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Kev
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »

owning a GPS is priceless!! 

yep, until the batteries die on you and you realize the solar charger is in the car  Kiss

One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:01:35 PM »

I can't help but share my LOST story:

http://www.beemaster.com/travel/canoe.html

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »

yep, until the batteries die on you and you realize the solar charger is in the car 

among the things in my saddle bags....extra batteries.

of course, if my horse and i part ways.....i am twisted in to a board with a pointy instrument  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »

of course, if my horse and i part ways.....i am twisted in to a board with a pointy instrument  smiley
huh

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:30:53 PM »

I can't help but share my LOST story:

http://www.beemaster.com/travel/canoe.html

Oh my goodness, John, what a tale  shocked  Lucky you found your way out!  We canoe quite a bit (well, we used to anyways, before life got so complicated) and have never had a problem like that.  Hopefully we never will!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:48:13 PM »

screwed

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 11:03:08 PM »

Kathy!!!  Ha, you are a funny woman.  I was also wondering what you mean, "twisted into a board with a pointy instrument".  I thought and thought, what on earth you could possibly be talking about.  I was thinking about every thing that I would take if I were to ever venture out with my steed into the bush to do an overnight trek (you are so brave, girl, I would never ever have the guts to do that thing, good for you!!!!).  I couldn't come up with even one thing that might have twisted me into a board with a pointy instrument.  Anyways, it gave me a really good laugh when you said "screwed", what an imagination and a way with words.  Don't lose that, it is a gift.  Best of the great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
bluegrass
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 08:12:32 AM »

As Daniel Boone has been quoted saying " I have never been lost, Just turned about for several weeks"

I always know where I am, I just might not know how to get where I am going.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 06:55:55 AM by bluegrass » Logged

Sugarbush Bees
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 09:06:39 AM »

I always thought a compass was overkill... what if you lose it?  Besides the sun is usually shining or the stars are out, and if they aren't there are other signs, like moss on the tree or what grows on a south facing hill...

GPS's look way cool, but what about when the battery goes dead and you never learned to pay attention to where you were and where you're going?

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
AllanJ
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 08:35:52 PM »

The best way to avoid being lost, is to never care where you are going.. 
nepenthes
Field Bee

Little honey bee in flight

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 08:21:38 PM »

Moss does not only grow on the North side of a tree. Moss will grow wherever there is an adequate amount of moisture and sunlight.

"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »

Cody, oh ya, I will agree, we have moss growing in places that one could never imagine.  Have the wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »

What do you do when MOSS grows on your GPS  rolleyes

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
nepenthes
Field Bee

Little honey bee in flight

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »

send it to me...  tongue

"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next