Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 04:19:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of my nose  (Read 811 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: February 23, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »

Yup, sounds strange, I have an extremely sensitive nose that can smell incredible things.  That is mostly good, but sometimes it is a bummer.  Sounds strange?  Yup.

I was outside this morning, long before daylight and I thought that I could smell snow.  To my nose, snow has a very significant scent.  But no snow anywhere that I could see.  Hmm.  I told my husband that I thought I could smell snow.  Went back inside and went back out about 15 minutes later.  It was starting to snow.  It only snowed for about 15 minutes, a slight whisper of the white stuff on the ground.  I don't want it to snow, I don't like it.  If we had the dry powdery snow that I know many places get, it would be OK.  But ours is generally very heavy and wet.  Great for snowmen and snowballs, but lousy to get around in.  Don't let it snow!!!  Greatest of days.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 03:22:30 PM »

My wife and some members of her family are "bloodhounds". They can smell anything too. Its annoying to be honest. Everything stinks to them. Nonetheless, they are never wrong about what they smell. My wife can even tell me what kind of fish i caight after fishing, even if i let verything go. I'll walk in and she'll say, "stripers and bluefish, and something I never smelled before." I'll respond "yes, and the new smell was a stargazer fish." Next time she'll know what a stargazer smels like.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 06:46:16 PM »

I knew a girl once that had no sense of smell or taste. Came in handy sometimes! rolleyes
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:09:15 AM »

Konasdad.  I surely do wonder what causes this sense that can be so intricately intense.  Yes, it can be annoying to me sometimes too, and I wish that I could turn it off when I wanted to.  Dogs' odours at times bother me, especially when they are sitting nearby and I hear that light swish of wind, eeks!!!!

Other times I am grateful for this extraordinarily delicate sense.  Like in the summertime when pollen is high.  Things that come to my mind is the sweet smell of the blueberry flowers, pollen from the tassels of the corn, which in my mind smell like honey, the smell of the pine needles on the hot summer day, reminescent of propolis surely, the sweet smell that comes from the honeybees' homes.  I could carry on, the scents that prevail are endless.  AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!!  Awesome, best of days.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:55:51 AM »

The only time I notice the power of my nose is when I sneeze. I think there is enough power there to launch the space shuttle.

I have a lousy sense of smell, so showering for me is completly optional(ok that was bad). 

My wife has a nose for scents. She notices when the night blooming jasmine is going. 
I ask her if she is going to mow the lawn (yeah that's right the wife mows) and she say no because it will rain soon. She can smell the air front when the rain is comong. I think she cheats and looks at weatherunderground.com.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »

Nope, I bet your wife does smell the rain coming.  If one possesses that extreme sensitivity, it is amazing what the nose knows.

Oooooh, night scented jasmine...now that would be a treat.  I have a jasmine that bears white flowers in the daytime and it is very pretty.  My favourite is the highly scented honeysuckle that grows on a trellis outside my bedroom patio, that scent pervades the air for most of the summer and it takes your breath away.

Now this is funny.  My husband does not have the strongest sense of smell either.  BUT, when the heliotrope is blooming, he says that it is a very strong fragrance (and lovely too), but to me the scent is not very strong.  That is really odd to say the least.  Ah, the summer fragrance.  Can't wait for the evening scented stock to bloom.  Now that is one that is more fragrant than anything that I could possibly imagine.  Blooms dusk until dawn, all through the night.  The night flying insects love it too.  I can sometimes hear them when I am nearby the stocks.  Night flying insects love the fragrant, trailing, blue petunias, I know I hear them.  I have extraordinary hearing as well.

It will be a couple of more weeks and I will have to mow the lawn for the first time this year.  Uh, huh.  I mow the lawn.  I am rather anal retentive about how my lawn is mowed.  I have many corners, shrubs, sidewalks, gardens, and no one can mow it as well as I can. It takes about 2 hours from start to finish, but then I look at that as 2 hours of good solid walking and guiding the lawnmower.  It is great.  In the depths of the mowing season, I have to mow the lawn about every 4 days.  I like to keep it short and looked well groomed.  So, mow I do, with zest and pleasure.  By the time that the grass slows down its lush growth in mid summer, I am actually kind of relieved to only mow it about every 8 days, it can get rather warm walking and pushing this machine.  Thank goodness it is self-propelled and has a very large grass catcher on the back.  Makes for some very nice compost.  Awesome, best of days.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next