Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 12:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YESTERDAY I NEARLY DIED USING INLAND LAPIDARY ALL IN WONDER  (Read 2332 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: February 23, 2007, 02:17:12 AM »

Yesterday I recieved a massive electric shock from the INLAND LAPIDARY ALL IN WONDER, I was thrown backwards, struck my head and am lucky to be alive.

The seller of the unit EMERALD COAST TREASURES has fobbed me off to the manufacturer. The manufacturer INLAND LAPIDARY has not responded, nearly 24 hours later.

IF YOU OWN ONE OF THESE UNITS CEASE USING IT IMMEDIATELY AND CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER

Its looking like I will have to contact the Office of Electrical Safety. It would not be proper for me to remain silent if there is a faulty batch floating around. If there needs to be an international recall of the units, then so be it and the longer they take to respond, the angrier I will get.

You may recall I posted earlier about the unit causing massive RFI and was told "In the US we make tvs and radios with filters in them" well INLAND LAPIDARY in Australia we make machines that do not cause RFI in the first place and do not cause electric shock!

Perhaps if they had considered my concerns properly, they may have diagnosed an electrical fault with the unit.

I am a reasonable man, but just how long should I give INLAND LAPIDARY to respond? I work for a manufacturer of apliances. I know we have systems in place to deal with faulty products and move like lightning when there is an incident of this nature, and have recalled products when the need be, costing us thousands of dollars. In Japan, our parent company is currently spending millions of dollars inspecting a type of appliance to be on the safe side. Its called good corporate citizenship.

Obviously I would not recommend this unit to my worst enemy given the incident and lack of response thus far.

The motor housing is designed to be taken apart, but I am resisting the temptation, just in case they accuse me of tampering with the unit.

There was a brief rumble, a split second before it blew up on me. There is somethng rattling around inside the motor housing. My guess is some sort of gearing mechanism gave way. However, any design should not lead to parts flying around and interfering with the wiring leading to electric shock.

I am very glad I have common sense, and was wearing rubber soled shoes and standing on a ruber backed mat. Water and electricity are obvioulsy not a good mix. But I trusted this company to have made a good product.

At this stage its a waiting game, but I may be reasonable but Im not very patient.

I now have a pile of opal I can do nothing with, and a weeks annual leave I had taken to use this machine, cannnot be cancelled.

Needless to say, DO NOT BUY THE ALL IN WONDER FROM INLAND LAPIDARY IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE.

Can someone direct me to the US authority that oversees the safety of electrical appliances?
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »

Mick, that is dreadful.  I am grateful that you had on the rubber shoes and rubber matt upon which you stood.  I was shocked when I heard what happened to you.

Yes, you need to proclaim loud and clear about this issue.  YOu could indeed have died.

I know lapidary is rock stuff.  maybe rock polishing?  What are you up to with all the opals?  That is my birthstone, pretty gem that it is.  Have a great day, good luck, I hope that the company gets back to you P.D.Q.  They should be jumping to get back to you, that would be good public relations.  You will get some good advice from forum members on what to do I am sure.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:25:15 AM »

Hope this helps.

From this site,

http://www.inlandlapidary.com/contact_us.asp

Inland Craft Products, Co. (World Headquarters)
32052 Edward Drive
Madison Heights, Michigan 48071 (USA)
Ph: (248) 583-7150
Ph: (800) 521-8428 USA Sales / Service
Fx: (248) 583-9089
Hours: M-F, 9:00am - 5:00PM ET

Inland Craft Europe
Tichelbrink 68
Loehne D-32584 (Germany)
Ph: ++00 49 (05731) 844 756
Fx: ++00 49 (05731) 828 40
Hours: Mon-Sat 9:00-1:00 CET plus
Mon, Tue, Th, Fri 2:00- 6:00 CET
Customer Service
For product questions, problems, return authorizations, etc.

Sales - Lapidary Tools
Distributor and Retailer sales inquiries and support 

European Sales / Service
Direct to the European Market

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/

here is the link to the michigan AG's office.  usually, with a US company, if you don't get a response (now!) the next step is to write a letter with all info to the AG's office.  consumer safety issues for individual companies start at the state level.

However....there is a faster way, and it will almost always work.

write a very polite letter to the company headquarters.  explain how what happened in VIVID detail.  explain how horribly frightened you were and how you may even miss work because of this traumatizing experience!  ask them nicely to get in touch with you NOW.  also mention that "because you are so concerned that this may happen to someone else", a lawyer friend in the US advised you to send a CC to the AG.  then send both letters and i'd send them "return receipt-signature required" or whatever your equivalent is.

i call it doing "dumb blond" with a kbar, but you may name it something else.   evil

BTW keep a record of all contacts and attempted contacts.  time, date, outcome.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »

Thanks for your concerns.

I finally got a response. Its funny how the three magic words "Personal Injury lawyer" have such a dramatic effect on companies.

Wonder of wonders they have an Australian representative 20 miles from me and have promised to deliver a replacement unit as soon as I make contact with them on Monday.

I am not happy about having to give up the faulty unit, once its out of my hands I will have lost my bargaining tool.

I wont feel confident with the unit until I find out what the fault was caused by.

I will try to hang onto it, but I expect it will be a case of you give us yours and you can have this scenario.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »

Mick,
I wouldn't turn it over until you get a satisfactory response from the company.
Like you said,once they have it you'll have no recourse.
The us has a consumer product safety commission.
http://www.cpsc.gov/
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

Thanks Ken, I have emailed them the details, just in case the manufacturer tries to sweep it under the carpet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next