Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 22, 2014, 01:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP SAVE THE WHALES  (Read 2349 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: February 22, 2007, 03:04:55 AM »

After halting the dreadful slaughter of Whales in Antartica, where thankfully the Japanese processing ship caught fire NOW THERES KARMA FOR YA! the Farley Mowat has docked in Melbourne.

Please have a look at

http://www.seashepherd.org/australia/australia_melbourne.html

If you are able to help, please do.

I will be taking 10 kilos of Columns of Smoke Happy Honey and some Sleepys Music to the Crew on Sunday, prior to the Laneway Festival.

Poor Whales dont deserve to be slaughtered to feed Japs! I work with Japanese people, they say Whales are being slaughtered as a political statement and they cant give the bleep away in Japan, let alone sell it.

HELP SAVE THE WORLDS WHALES

www.seashepherd.org

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »

sorry mick.  gotta pass on that one.  meat is meat.  as long as the wale populations are watched and numbers managed, it's no different than seal meat, or salmon, or whatever.

i also have a big probem with the terrorist actions taken by many of the tree hugger groups.

we just had a fur company run out of business.  they had existed in portland for over 100 years.  between the protest, spray paint, and other vandalism, and old an respected company no longer exists.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »

Hummmmmm.....

http://www.whaling.jp/english/release/070109.html

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:20:42 AM »

Japan has threatened to withdraw international aid for any country that registers any of sea shepherds ships.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »

don't know much about what japan is doing....but i can kind of see their point.  i often wonder why we shovel so much money out to countries that stomp on us every chance they get.  withdraw of aid might sound cruel.  to me it makes good sense.  japan dishes out a lot of aid.  if that is their bargaining chip, so be it.  to bad we don't do the same. 

Mick, think about how many countries in the world are financially able, and have the moral fortitude to protect, feed, and generally take care of the rest of the world.  there aren't many.  your country, ours, Canada, england, japan.  not that others don't pitch in, but in reality, we (the collective 'Borg' we) carry the majority of the load. 

the UN is a joke.  why do we waste money there?  the countries we support would destroy or weaken us if they could.  no one gives a darn, they just have their hands out.  why are we doing this?  i'd like to see a 5 year experiment where the US brought ALL troops home, withdrew all aid, withdrew all State Department personnel, and just sat back and watched what happened.  it would be an interesting experiment.

kind of got off track....smiley  the Japanese should be able to do what the Japanese do.  this idea of some international body dictating to all countries what they should and shouldn't do is bull.  doesn't matter whether it's Kyoto or whales.

oh ya....i'd withdraw from all treaties for awhile too.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 02:32:07 PM »

don't know much about what japan is doing....but i can kind of see their point.  i often wonder why we shovel so much money out to countries that stomp on us every chance they get.  withdraw of aid might sound cruel.  to me it makes good sense.  japan dishes out a lot of aid.  if that is their bargaining chip, so be it.  to bad we don't do the same. 

Mick, think about how many countries in the world are financially able, and have the moral fortitude to protect, feed, and generally take care of the rest of the world.  there aren't many.  your country, ours, Canada, england, japan.  not that others don't pitch in, but in reality, we (the collective 'Borg' we) carry the majority of the load. 

the UN is a joke.  why do we waste money there?  the countries we support would destroy or weaken us if they could.  no one gives a darn, they just have their hands out.  why are we doing this?  i'd like to see a 5 year experiment where the US brought ALL troops home, withdrew all aid, withdrew all State Department personnel, and just sat back and watched what happened.  it would be an interesting experiment.

kind of got off track....smiley  the Japanese should be able to do what the Japanese do.  this idea of some international body dictating to all countries what they should and shouldn't do is bull.  doesn't matter whether it's Kyoto or whales.

oh ya....i'd withdraw from all treaties for awhile too.

So the japanese should be allowed to drive most of the species of whales into extinction with outside no interference?

Sorry, I think that the japanese are wrong in this case. Most of the whale species out there are endangered. And whales run through international waters not just japanese waters.

Whale meat is not a major portion of the diet of the japanese. it is a luxury food item and the other products produced from whales are already made without having to kill the whales.

I love how the japanese appeal to the IWC to hunt for scientfic purposes and then serve them at resturants.

Overfishing and whaling do not just affect one country. Without mutual cooperation species go extinct. There is no beneficial purpose to that.

I would agree that managed fishing and whaling would be fine. However the japanese are flagrantly violating the moretorum on whaling. I have no problem with hunting for food and eating what you kill. Provided you are not hunting an endangered species.

Mutual national agreement is needed for commerical fishing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 04:05:58 PM »

You didn't look at much of the site I posted a link to did you?

http://www.whaling.jp/english/qa.html

Q2     Aren't all whales endangered?
No whales have ever been hunted to extinction, nor are they likely to be. Out of all of the 80 species, only a limited number traditionally have been hunted, such as blue whales, fin whales, minke whales, humpback whales, sperm whales and gray whales.

When whales were over-hunted, species such as blue whales and right whales were reduced to very low population levels, but these species now have been fully protected for decades.

Japan strongly believes that they should continue to be protected.
On the other hand, there are species which are abundant enough that marine management is needed, such as the Antarctic and northwestern Pacific minke whales and northwestern Pacific Bryde's whales.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »

You didn't look at much of the site I posted a link to did you?

http://www.whaling.jp/english/qa.html

Q2     Aren't all whales endangered?
No whales have ever been hunted to extinction, nor are they likely to be. Out of all of the 80 species, only a limited number traditionally have been hunted, such as blue whales, fin whales, minke whales, humpback whales, sperm whales and gray whales.

When whales were over-hunted, species such as blue whales and right whales were reduced to very low population levels, but these species now have been fully protected for decades.

Japan strongly believes that they should continue to be protected.
On the other hand, there are species which are abundant enough that marine management is needed, such as the Antarctic and northwestern Pacific minke whales and northwestern Pacific Bryde's whales.

I read it. He doesn't answer the question are whales endangered. He simply says none have ever been hunted to extinction. Look at the population count on that chart. There is only one species of whales over 200,000 in population.

In 2002 they were caught hunting sei whale at that time the population was 28,000.

In 2005 .au made an effort to ban japanese whalers fishing in their waters. Japan's answer to the ban was to try to lift the ban on hunting humpbacks. Despite what it says on the website you pointed out. Japan does not strongly believe those species should continue to be protected.

At the June 2006 meeting of the IWC, Japan and 10 other pro whaling nations tried to achieve the 75% majority needed to lift the ban on hunting for endangered whales. Sorry, I am not buying what they are selling.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »

there are around 70 species of whale.  to say that whale hunting should be abolished because some types are endangered, is like saying all deer hunting should stop because some kind of deer is endangered. 

another thing that bugs me about this whole thing is that exceptions are made for groups who eat whale meat as a part of their traditional diet.....except that exception is not extended to the Japanese.

it also ticks me off that tuna...which used to be cheap food for poor folks, now costs 2.50 a can because of darn dolphins.

if these international bodies put as much effort into stopping genocide in Darfur, or nukes in iran....what a peaceful world we might have!

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 06:37:56 PM »

When we kill animals for food, we kill them as quickly and humanely as possible.

Whales are hit with explosive harpoons, dragged on board still alive after often several hours and cut up still alive. Such barbaric practices have no place in 2007.

The fact that the meat tastes like bleep and has no market and is sold at a loss makes the practice one of spite.

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 07:10:52 PM »

there are around 70 species of whale.  to say that whale hunting should be abolished because some types are endangered, is like saying all deer hunting should stop because some kind of deer is endangered. 
If they were just hunting high population whales. I might agree with you. The japanese are not doing that. They are hunting endangered species of whales.

another thing that bugs me about this whole thing is that exceptions are made for groups who eat whale meat as a part of their traditional diet.....except that exception is not extended to the Japanese.
Groups like Eskimos and Makah that go out and hunt for one whale a year. They go out in canoes and hunt for one whale. It is not even close to being the same thing as the Japanese with a whaling vessel and a harpoon gun.

it also ticks me off that tuna...which used to be cheap food for poor folks, now costs 2.50 a can because of darn dolphins.
Which really has nothing to do with whaling. But since you mentioned it. Tuna fishers killed  half a million dolphin a year when the ban took effect. They didn't use the dolphin for food or any other product they just killed them and dumped them. The MMPA was put in place in 1972. You price for tuna is no longer a reflection of those "darn dolphins." You price for Tuna is directly link to the overfishing of tuna.
By the way a can of tuna cost me about a $1. And that is the good stuff.

if these international bodies put as much effort into stopping genocide in Darfur, or nukes in iran....what a peaceful world we might have!

Gosh, that would mean we would have to meddle in the affairs of other nations. Like Japan and it whaling industry.

Sincerley,
Brendhan

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »

Gosh, that would mean we would have to meddle in the affairs of other nations. Like Japan and it whaling industry.

they will insist on meddling in something.  it might as well be something worth while!   Smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:35:14 PM »

they will insist on meddling in something.  it might as well be something worth while!   Smiley
Not depleting the ocean of species of whales is worth while.
Smiley

Sincerely,
Brendhan

jfischer
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »

I tried to save the whales, but I could only save one.
Two simply would not fit in the bathtub.  Smiley

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 10:39:56 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/28/wwhales228.xml

Hey Mick,

Looks like the Sea Shepard had a good day.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »

Now if this had been done on your street corner people would have been carried of to jail for assault, destruction of property, personal injury, and if it is found that they caused the fire man slaughter will be added to it. And you praise these people?

Jerry

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »

If they actually caused the fire on the ship no.
And I won't praise the japanese fishing vessels for hunting the whales under misleading circumstances.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »

I don't praise them one way or the other. If they are doing something illegal then there are legal steps to take to stop them. If there is some loophole they are using then plug it. But it seems to me that we are at the moment suppose to be fighting terrorism not supporting some form of it. 

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »

http://www.animalrights.net/archives/year/2003/000052.html

seems to me there is a bit of a problem when the value of an animals life is equal to that of a humans life.  the same wing nuts that will spike trees to kill loggers, or blow up vehicles and ram boats, will cry crocodile tears over abu Abu Ghraib and Gitmo.  guess that would be ok, but i doubt they cried the same tears when the Burg kids head was sawed off with dull knife.  if you really care about cruelty, that's a pretty good tape to watch.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next