Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mould In Syrup  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Finsky

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2791
  • Gender: Male
Re: Mould In Syrup
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:32 AM »

I would be curious to know exactly what the "black" mold is and what it's properties are. 

Molds are so awfully many. It generates when moist respiration air rises to the upper feeder, moisture condensates and makes dilution on surfaces above syrup line.

Sometimes mold denerates white cloud in syrup and that I pour away. Sugar is so sheap that I am going to play with that.  "I am not sick or poor".

But as Michal said, bees stand mold. However I try to avoid it. Bees carry naturally water from contaminated waters, from manure sludges and so on, but it is good not to mention to honey customers.


I have seen that bees are quite sensitive to fermented food during winter and whole hive may die if food is not good. Bees just come out from hive.



Offline Cindi

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 9825
  • Gender: Female
Re: Mould In Syrup
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »
Steve, nicely said.  I do not like mould of any sort.  I think it is disgusting, dirty and has narry a place in my colonies, a little bit cannot be avoided I would venture.  But keep to minimum in my eyes would be the best health for the honeybees' world.  Best of days.  Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Yarra_Valley

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 167
Re: Mould In Syrup
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 08:22:31 AM »
Well fed them 4.5 litres of 2:1 syrup with a little ascorbic acid and lemongrass essence. I've done 2:1 syrup once before too, and I find it a lot harder to dissolve all the sugar to get that nice glossy transparent syrup. Either due to the larger drop in heat due to less water and more sugar, or the syrup reaching maximum saturation point or something. so it didn't dissolve completely, but its fine. you guys manage to make it all dissolve completely?
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Finsky

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2791
  • Gender: Male
Re: Mould In Syrup
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
. so it didn't dissolve completely, but its fine. you guys manage to make it all dissolve completely?


Sugar dissolve 66% but it makes bees thirsty. They must carry water into hive to handle strong syrup. 60% is enough. Seldom I get all disolved. The rest crystals I dilute with small amout of water. 

Offline Yarra_Valley

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 167
Re: Mould In Syrup
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
aha, cool thanks finsky. how cold is it over there right now?
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Finsky

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2791
  • Gender: Male
Re: Mould In Syrup
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 10:06:41 AM »
aha, cool thanks finsky. how cold is it over there right now?
-10C , at night -15C