Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 08:22:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global warming  (Read 5162 times)
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:11 AM »

oh kathy...you have got to be kiddin me? little streets with little cars. things spread out...oh dear oh dear. living here without a car is...close to impossible, just tell me, how can i do all my shoppings, the first-bigger grocery shop is 4km away, the nearest clothes shopping centre or something is 25km away, my school is 20km away, my working place is 4 km away, library is also 4km away...just like you live in the rural areas of US so do i, only in Slovenia. car is a must! and it doesn't have to eat 6gal per 100 miles to get you from A to B fast, not to mention, it can still be big. and yes, actually i can throw hay in the back of our fiat, but i don't need to, since we have 2 tractors and the stall is at home. and tell me how this car isn't comfortable?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »

fiats are comfortable.  i drove one in Italy.  driving in Italy isn't comfortable...no matter what you drive!  smiley

I'm not sure how to explain the difference.  in the US, people move out to rural areas just because they want to.  they drive 40 or 50 miles (around 65 km)  to work every day just so that they can live "in the country".  in those parts of Europe that i have visited, people don't live out in the country unless they farm.  people tend to live closer to work and shopping and towns/cities. 

the Europeans i know (mostly family) do not take vacation by car.  they fly, or maybe take a train to their destination.  in the US, we pack up the family and the junk and take a road trip.  it is generally cheaper to pack the care and drive, than to try to fly the entire family somewhere and then rent a car at the other end.  i would not pack the family and the stuff in a fiat.

when my sister shops in england, she drives into the little village and parks.  she does her shopping and drives home.  it's about 10 km for her to go shopping.  if she lived some place like London, she wouldn't drive at all.

i found the same to be true in Germany, and Italy.  people did not drive as much.  what they needed was close at hand.  a trip that i would consider short, and no big deal in the US, they consider a major trip and might just fly there rather than drive.

as an example....my parents live about 800 miles (1,287.47 km).  it is a one day trip and i don't mind driving down there for a few days and driving back......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »

I live outside of the city, there is no public transportation for me, but I don't commute into any city for work, etc.

People live where they want to live for their own reasons.  I couldn't live in a very populated area like a city, I'd wither and die.  I need space.  I really don't want to justify my feelings to make someone else happy.  The US is a huge country with many different environs to live in.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

What I'd really like is for the car industry to come up with alternative fuel vehicles for us. 

And to Kathyp, are you serious?
(I'd like women in this country to take a special test before they are allowed to drive anything bigger than a Honda, but i guess that won't happen.)
I can drive anything, and practically have.  I am an excellent driver of anything with wheels and an engine, and really can't understand how another woman could make such a statement?  There's plenty of morons out there driving, of both sexes.  shocked

And for the record, I drive a Ford Ranger.  I need a truck to go to the dump, and to haul home manure for my gardens.  Wink

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »

ok kathy apparently we got into a totally off topic topic. what i meant about cars is...your cars are different, i mean the engines, i don't know the english term and i certanly don't know what's different, but your cars simply eat more fuel. this can be changed with LITTLE influence on US citizens lives, that was my point.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:35 PM »

What I'd really like is for the car industry to come up with alternative fuel vehicles for us. 

And to Kathyp, are you serious?

i agree about the fuel, but no alternative is without cost to someone.  ask the Mexicans about tortilla costs. 

and yes, about women driving things bigger than a Honda?  i am dead serious.  most of them are to fat and lazy to park where the vehicle will fit, so they squeeze that thing in up front and block other vehicles.  on top of that, you know they won't park straight.  they don't haul anything except kids and groceries.  they drive a big rig because they "feel safer", while they chat on the phone and kill the rest of us. I'm not usually into the male/female competition thing, but in this case, women in general have no business in anything bigger than a 4 banger

i drive an F250 long bed with a 17 ft horse trailer on the back. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »

this can be changed with LITTLE influence on US citizens lives, that was my point.

it can.  we have more fuel efficient cars than what many people choose to drive.  my husband drives a Honda, and when I'm not hauling, i drive a Toyota.  both are more fuel efficient. 

i guess it comes down to choice.  most of us are opposed to the government telling us what we can and can't do (or drive).  at the moment, we have a romping good economy and people can afford the fuel prices.  even those who are in a twist about global warming are probably not doing much to change their driving behavior.  it's much easier to fuss than to change.

American car companies are not doing to well.  there are a number of reasons for this.  foreign car companies are building more fuel efficient cars and so by default, Americans are driving more fuel efficient cars.  there are more hybrids on the road.  emission standards are much higher....and may i say....much higher than most of the places i traveled in Europe.

Europeans have a view of Americans consuming the world and living under some black, sooty cloud of our own pollution.  they especially think that since we didn't sign Kyoto.  it is not true.  our air quality standards are higher than most of the worlds, and they are enforced more strictly than in most other countries.  a law on the books is not good if it's not enforced.

ever take a deep breath in Rome?Huh  smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »

Well, Kathy, we'll have to agree to disagree about the women driver thing, I know way too many men who park sideways at the convenience store, taking up two spaces in a small parking lot because they're far too important to bother with lines.  Yes, I know about little women who drive too big vehicles, but I find it interesting you don't see the same thing in the male organ-enhancement that goes on with men and vehicles.  evil 

I went to London a few years ago (I think 1998) and couldn't believe how bad the air was there.  Boston has never been that bad in my experience. 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »

but I find it interesting you don't see the same thing in the male organ-enhancement that goes on with men and vehicles

i do, but that seems to be more middle age, sports car things....  smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 03:01:41 PM »

and why are women "safer" drivers? coz when men drive they have to worry about all the women on the road, and sometimes they forget about other things, and unfortunatelly end up in an accident.
heh, just kiddin'
wouldee
New Bee

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »

On the flooding issue....wheres all the water coming from???
Take a globe and spin it around...there very little white compared to the blue...
And most of the white is floating.....
When ice floats only a small precentage sticks outta the water...
When ice melts into water it gets smaller....

I think most of the excess water will go into our atmosphere and cause all kinds of nasty storms and weather patterns...

My2cents

bmad12
New Bee

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 05:29:12 PM »

but I find it interesting you don't see the same thing in the male organ-enhancement that goes on with men and vehicles

i do, but that seems to be more middle age, sports car things....  smiley

My theroy on that is(as a 20-somthing male), when you are starting out in life, you don't really acululate the funds for a little sports car, so you ave to wait until you actually can afford it.  I'm still not old enough.... Smiley
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »

I'm still not old enough....

that's a good thing!  i used to have a 280ZX.  two tone, Ttop.  awesome car.  when my boys started driving, i sold it.  i refused to sell it to anyone under the age of 30, and turned down a father who wanted to buy if for his teenage son.  i didn't want to feel responsible if some kid wrapped it around a tree.....

then my youngest, upon graduating from college and getting his commission....bought a mustang.  he won't let me drive it....sad  payback he says for selling the Z!  i get it when he ships out in a few months.  I'm going to "take care" of it for him  evil

Alexis de Tocqueville
bmad12
New Bee

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 05:54:26 PM »

i don't wish to judge anyone but i agree, US should sign Kyoto protocol, and about US regular citizens...again it's not your fault and i'm not blaiming anyone here but...how much does a regular car "drink" per 100km? European cars...i think i can say it's average 7-8l.

I have a Honda Odysee that gets roughly 25miles/Gal.  and a Chevy Cavalier that gets 33miles/gal.  To me it sounds like most of this stuff comes from a haterid of the US.  So many people hate the US, and why?  We're people just like you are.  Not everyone here agrees with what the president, or the people in charge say and do, but we're here just like everyone else.  All countries have their problems.  And they have ways of doing and running things.  But, the way it shows on the news, and what you hear on the radio, other countries hate us because of what we have, or what we do.  We're not hurting anyone, well, I'm not anyways.  I get up I goto work I come home and spend time with my family.  I'm not rich, but I'm not poor either.  I'm lost somewhere in the middle, just keeping my head above water.  But I never ask for a handout, or ask that someone else suffer so that I can have a better life.  But that's what it seems like other countries see us as.  A race of people that care nothing about anyone else but ourselves.  To me thats so far from the truth.  I'm not bragging or talking down to anyone when I say this, but for all the bad that everyone claims the US is, where would the world be without us?  Yes, we have things in our past that we shouldn't be proud of, but doesn't everyone?  So if the US never exsisted, where would we be?  Would I even be alive?  Maybe we'd all be speaking German, or maybe even Arabic?  Maybe the world wouldn't even be here.  Who knows.  I just get tired of hearing about all the troubles in the world, and how there's too much war, there too much corruption, and the greenhouse gases are at a all time high, and as who ever's always stand on their soap box, they grabboth sides of the podium, tilt there head down, pear over the top of their glasses and always silently look over towards us, like it's all our fault.  It just get's old.  Ok, I'm stepping down off my box now.  All this aside, I hope you all have a good night.
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »

oh dear, you're making this sound like i hate you or something. absolutely not, i'm just as responsible for greenhouse effect like any other human being on this planet. yes, even those who don't use cars or something are guilty aswell. some would say why?? well, they would do the same if they could, the whole world is trying to achieve US/europes standard, so everyone else is just as guilty.

i'm sorry if i insulted anyone, wasn't meant that way.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »

ah mici, we don't take it personally.  i don't anyway. 

i think just get a little frustrated sometimes when we read the press or listen to the UN and it seems like the US is constantly blamed and attacked for everything....until someone needs something, then they look to the US for whatever it is.

i also know that what we read and hear from the European press is not very representative of how the general public feels.  OUR press is not very representative of how the general US public feels.

I'm not very politically correct (you may have noticed).  i think people need to talk straight up.  no problems are solved and no understanding come to, by talking around a thing.  i try not to offend folks, but i never want someone to walk away from a conversation with me, and wonder where i stand on a thing.  i expect the same from others.....and i am not offended smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
bmad12
New Bee

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »

oh dear, you're making this sound like i hate you or something. absolutely not, i'm just as responsible for greenhouse

I didn't mean you personally, it's just the way our country is portrayed in the media.  Everywhere you turn the US is messing something else up.  It's like we're picked apart for everything we do.  WE drive around in the big SUV's.  WE start wars for oil.  WE do what ever we want to.  It just gets old.  And it's not just other countries, our own do it too.  We have a political party that want to control everything we do, like we can't make our own decisions.  I'm sure if they had their own way they'd take up all our money and redistribute it they way they think it should be and then spen the rest the way they think our money should be spent.  Why not just invite Castro over and fire up the bar-b-q.  Another party wants to protect everyone everywhere, and lend us out every chance they get.  They too think they know what is better for us, just not as bad as the first.  And none of them can get together on anything except fattening their ouw pockets.   There's too much government as it is, and most of the time I think they have forgotten what their real job is.  It's not to strip us of our freedom, but to keep us safe, and protect us from our enemies.  I think they'd rather tell us what we can and can't do though.  In the big pictue though, this is a great country, and for all it's faults, I still love my country.  Just wish we could be more productive, and less disagreeable. 

Politics stink..... Why can't we all just love everybody?
Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »

Life would be better if everyone worked with nature not agin her
kirk-o cheesy cheesy

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »

Jelousy creates a contray condition.  The most successful are denigrated by the less fortunate, or less able, because it has what everyone else wants.  Hence, the USA is the worlds kicking post.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
buzzbeejr
Josh
Youth Group
Field Bee

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »

What do you mean global WARMING here its more like global freezing. two days we had delays for school it was so cold.

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »

Politics stink..... Why can't we all just love everybody?

you may make that choice.  loving everyone is a noble goal.  just remember that you can't make them love you back!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next