Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 08:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tears of laughter, ever tried tripe?  (Read 1985 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: February 04, 2007, 08:25:13 PM »

I am still sitting here, every time I think of what I just saw brings the laugh and the tears again.  I know it will subside.

I am sitting typing a post on the forum, my sister and my oldest, most beautiful niece of 15 young years comes into the room.  My sister has something kind of wierd looking hanging off a fork.  She says smell this.  Well, I am not a sucker and I know my family.  I do not smell things that I do not know that is the origin when it is offered to me.  I asked what it was and she said tripe.

Her husband loves tripe and had to cook it outside on the barbeque in a pressure cooker because my sister evidently cannot stand the smell.

My husband smells it, and he said it smells like s.  Now I am scared.  I do not want to smell this stuff on the fork.  My sister makes me smell it.  Well, it didn't smell too bad to me.  My niece is standing there, my husband offers her $10 extra money if she will eat the big piece of tripe.  Let me tell you, my sister and husband made it very clear that it did not smell very nice at all.

So, my poor dear niece smelled the tripe again.  She said, that she thought that she could eat it, but then said no.  My husband got the $10 bill and waved it in the air, $10 he said.

To a teenage girl that wants to go to the movie and have an extra $10 bucks in her this was becoming something that she knew she could do.  She could do it, she could eat it, no problem she was going to try.

Gotta give this young lady credit.  She took the fork, put the ENTIRE piece of tripe (I am laughing hard again and can barely type) and stuffed it into her mouth.  She chewed it for about 2 or 3 seconds then the gag reflex took over.  Oh my word!!!  You should have seen her face (I can't stop laughing).  It began to contort, you could see her gagging and she ran out of the room into the kitchen and I am sure had a big puke (laughing harder now). 

She came back into the room and said that that was gross.  Nothing more.  Husband asked her where the tripe went, she said she spit it into the garbage.  Oh dear.  My poor dear little niece, what a way to start a wonderful trip to the movies.

My husband is a gratious and fair man.  He gave her the $10 and thanked her gratefully for the laugh that brought all us three adults to our knees with laughing incontrollably, tears running down all our faces.  What a day.  I often wonder if that is something that runs in my family, the tears when we laugh.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
mabuzzbee
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »

From what I have read on the internet tripe is usually pretty tasteless. And if it is cooked correctly it is soft and spongy, if it is cooked incorrectly it is rubberbandish. According to Josh he read once that they taste like salty marshmallows.  None of it sounds very appealing to me. 

I am nobody.  Nobody is perfect.  Therefore, I am perfect.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »

which just goes to prove that kids will try anything...but with inflation, i would have thought it would have taken more than 10 bucks smiley

a few years ago, i went to E. Oregon to help some friends round up and brand the cattle.  along with the branding, goes the immunizations and the castration.  of course, we wouldn't want to waste anything, so the deep fried testicles are consumed at the end of the day, along with a deep fried turkey and a roasted pig.  RMOs are not bad if they are cooked right.  over cooked, it's like chewing on a super ball....or super balls.....

i was very happy to have been on the back of a horse that day, and not in the kitchen!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »

Kathy, what an interesting thing to do and you must be an expert rider.  Good for you.  I love to ride.  But haven't much in the past 10 years or so.  The kids had their horses, I had mine, but I always seeemed too busy to get out too much.  We all would go for wonderful trail rides.  We have masses of trails everywhere that the Haney Horsemen's Association upkeeps beautifully.

My girls always had their horses, pony club, Prince Phillip games and it was all fun.  We don't have the beauties anymore.  I do so miss them, but I really choose not to have to the work that I know that is involved with these diamonds.  I remember too easily all those nights of walking the mare while she was colicing, vets coming in and charging a fortune for their services, farriers.  EEEKS.  Glad the horses aren't here anymore.

About the RMOs, never tried them, but I would certainly like them cooked properly (LOL).  Rubber balls don't do much for me.  I would like to give them a try one of these fine days.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 10:30:48 AM »

to bad it's such a pain to take horses across the border.  i'd haul up there and check out your trails! 

fortunately, my husband enjoys riding when he has time. (not often)  i have friends i ride with.  i also have a really great mare that doesn't mind going out alone.  we often camp and ride without anyone else, and it is so nice. 

about the RMOs.  we had a couple of kids up there with us.  they actually liked the things.  kids are so hard to figure.  i thought when they knew what they were eating, they'd pass.  instead, they poured on the ketchup and carried on  grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:55:14 PM »

Kathy, my life dream would have been to be able to go out camping on my horse overnight.  I am very envious of you and can only picture you and your mare in the wilderness, camping.  How do you keep her nearby without her straying?  Ground tieing?  Hobbling, or just sticking around cause she loves you so much.  YOu are a very lucky woman, remember that.  There is nothing in this world than the serene nature that one feels when they can get out there and be alone with it.  I spend much time by myself on our property, watching, listening, it is peaceful and I love it.

I have been involved with horses since my early early teens.  The first one that I got I was about 12.  It was a dud of all duds, you could not have believed my sorrow.  This poor old bay gelding (my parents knew nothing about horses, of course at the time nor did I).  He had a really bad leg, we did not know it at first.  His fetlock area swelled about 4 times the size that it should have been.  We tried everything to bring down the swelling, but to no avail.  He had some kind of collapsed tendon there and he was (after the vet came looked), pronounced nothing better than for glue.  Yikes!!!  That broke my heart, but we did sell this poor old guy and then I got a Standard bred.  Now that was another story in itself. 

Through the years I had a couple of more horses.  Grew up to 17 years of age and got pregnant.  Ooops..Oh well, so I got married and had 2 children.  When my oldest girl was about 14 she became very very interested in horses and away we went again. 

We bought her a beautiful gray Arab, his name was Brandy Wine.  She called him B.W.  Then we bought a cute little Shetland pony for our other daughter.  That was a mistake.  He was a nasty little critter and knocked her off all the time by rubbing her under the branches of trees.  That pony was sold.  It was too bad because he seemed so nice and gentle til we got him home.

We bought the younger daughter a very nice gray Welsh mare.  She had that horse for years.  Both girls went through Pony Club, Prince Phillips games and we kept their horses for quite a few years.

To make a long story short.....well, there is no short story, just a little bit of talk about my kids and their steeds.  Great day.  Cindi

P.S. I will tell you more stories of some of my horse escapades as a youngster in the Lower Mainland some other time.  Some of the things that I did with them would make me pull every hair out of my head if my girls had ever pulled some of these stunts (not literally stunts, but the adventures I had with my horse).  Cindi

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:51:32 PM »

Tripe(stomach lining) is sold in the Italian Market in Philadelphia and it tastes awesome when prepared correctly. They serve it on a long hard roll w/ sesame seeds and roasted pepers and sharp provolone on the side. YUM! Stinks when prepared though.
Have you ever tried sweet breads(pancreas)?

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »

i just love the smell of tripe gravy, all though i somehow don't eat them, strictly out of prejudice, but i do eat the gravy, it's absolutely wonderful.
i guess majority don't eat them out of prejudice or bad experience-ate it in a cheap restaurant or something, i'd never eat them in ANY restaurant, only at home.

if anyone cares for a receipe (cindi, i'm sure your niece will eat it if prepared properly)

3 Ibs. preecoked tripe
2 table spoon oil
3 slices bacon
1 chopped onion
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon flour
4 tablespoon white wine
pinch thyme
pinch nutmeg
pinch chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups bread crumbs ( i think my mom uses flour to thicken the gravy)

http://www.kulinarika.net/slikerecepti/6029_small.jpg
ain't the best pic but it's the best i've got

Wash trip and cut into strips. Set aside. Drop oil in deep skillet with bacon, onions, parsley and flour. Brown slightly and not burn. When golden brown, add bread crumbs and enough water to cover. Add wine, thyme, nutmeg, garlic and seasoning. Add the tripe. Cover and cook for an hour or until tripe is soft. Serve with mash potato or "polenta".

if you buy really raw tripe, cook them in lots of water, like soup, with parslic, onions,carrot...the usual stuff

poor little thing....throwing up before going to movies....
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »

Mici, thanks for the recipe.  I actually don't think that my niece will ever try it again.  She did try it cooked a different way by her Dad the followng night, cooked in a spaghettie sauce.  Her brother actuallyl caught her on video tape, doing the same gag reflex activity.  The poor kid.  She keeps trying and trying, but simply cannot get past it.

I am going to give my brother-in-law the recipe so he can make it more paltable for his family.  Thanks.  Awesome day.  Cindi

Archie
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 05:11:56 PM »

Hi,

My mother used to like pickled tripe fried.  You're right, it stinks like  h e l l.

\Archie

Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:38:02 PM »

maybe it's just the thought now?  some people are like that with liver, too.  i had a friend who gagged just watching other people eat liver.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 09:38:32 PM »

One Mans steak is another mans Shineola
kirk-o rolleyes

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »

There are some foods I will/can not eat just because of the texture of it. Yep, liver is one of them. Shrimp is another along with most shell fish. I have to trim all the fat off the steaks because of the way it feels in my mouth.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 07:48:37 AM »

oh jerry, by doing that...you litteraly ruin the steak. ah well, suit youself

liver, jummyyyyyyy!!!! calf liver are the best, they're good from the grown up's to, but not as good, while pig liver are...like someone said, the texture of it..is a bit to "grainish". lots of onions, brown the onions, and roast the liver on it, best stuff ever!!1
abejaruco
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 08:28:50 AM »

The meaning of tripe in Spanish is "tripa".What a difficult translation!  grin) It is a very famous meal in Spain, but we don´t call "tripa" to the food, sound horrible, we called it "callos", cooked with chilli, pepper, Spanish ham, ...I have to stop because my mouth is changing into water.

Other meals sound terrible, like "rotten stew", a Spanish typical food that become famous as potpourri during the Napoleon times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olla_podrida

Personally I have few scruple when eating (of course, hygienic behavior always). My family is horrorized when they see me eating the eyes of the fish.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 08:49:18 AM »

My sister's husband is from Chile.  He has lived in our country for about 20 years.  In Chile, they love tripe, it is a very common food and he simply loves it, but my sister will only let him cook it now and then because of the stench when it cooks.  When he cooked it last time a few days ago, it was quite cold outside, so she allowed it in her kitchen.  She hates it.  She tried it first about 15 years ago when she was pregnant with her first child (first of 6), and to this day nearly starts to wretch when it is cooked.  One person's pleasure is another person's bane.

Personally, I don't think that I would want to ever try this food, nor would I want to smell it cooking.  I have heard enough to form a pretty strong opinion, no matter what is said and who likes it.

I have been introduced to some very fabulous Spanish food dishes from my brother-in-law.  I feel grateful for that because there is some pretty good stuff that he makes.

His continued use of cilantro in the dishes that he prepares has made me actually like this herb.  I used to absolutely hate it, now I almost crave it.  I love his salsa, it is made with lots of cilantro and parsley varieties that we grow here.  I make a different salsa, less green stuff.  I combine the two varieties of the salsa and man does it make the best of the best. 

Our parsley is still growing in the garden, we can eat it still.  It will go to seed this year, and the bees love the parsley flowers.  Once you have parsley growing wild, it is yours forever, it self-seeds, self-seeds and if you help it along a little with some seed saved, it grows some more.

I gathered many many seeds last summer.  I have said this before.  But one that I had forgotten that I had gathered as well until this moment was the garlic chives.  Now that makes a beautiful flower that the bees loves to get nourishment from too.  AND, it is a cross between green onion flavour and garlic flavour.  So when it is used in salads or whatnot, you have the best of both worlds.  Yum.  Yum.  Can't wait for summertime and the salads the wild lettuces that pop up everywhere all summer bring.  Ooh, ya, and the baby bok choi.  All these plants set seed every year and they grow all over the garden, there for the picking, if they are big or if they are small.  Great day.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next