Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 10:19:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sometimes I am embarassed by my fellow Countrymen, today I was proud of them.  (Read 1205 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: February 04, 2007, 03:46:11 AM »

We have what they call stage 3 water restrictions here. The short version is you can only water the garden twice a week, no watering of lawns, no washing cars unless its with a bucket, no hosing paths etc etc. If we go to stage 4, it means no water at all outside the house! We have enough water for 18 months. Unless there is the mother of all wet spells somewhere on the horizon, we are in dire straits.

There was a burst watermain last night. You would have thought the war was on. People rushing outside with Wheelie bins to fill up, buckets, siphons, you name it. Strangers from streets away, carting buckets of water to dump on other strangers lawns and gardens if they were not home or able to do it themselves.

It was a remarkable example of what we call mateship.

The Aussie spirit is alive and well. To do such a thing for another in the middle of the night shows the same attitude that built this county from scratch.

I was very proud of them all!
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 08:11:11 AM »

That's awesome, Mick.  Watering someone else's garden, how wonderful.  It's nice when everyone works together!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 09:07:54 AM »

Having been through two droughts here. If a watermain burst we would probably just  whine and complain. My wife and I had a discussion last night we have the option of hooking up to municiple water. We decided to stay on our well. It was a very good discussion because having been through the hurricanes when we lose power we lose water. So we have decided we will add a hand pump to the well and skip the municiple water.

Mick, I am glad your neighbors were able to step up. How long did it take to get the water main fixed?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:01:09 AM »

Mick-i just heard a story on NPR about the drought you are having...and have been having for a while.
They are blaming it on global warming.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:01:27 AM »

global warming is the cause of everything....don't you know that?   grin

it's great when people work together.  just when you have given up all hope for humanity, they do something surprising and redeem themselves (for awhile)   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »

It took a few hours, but they blocked the work truck from getting to it Wink
mabuzzbee
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »

There was a water main break about 20 miles from here last week.  With the freezing weather we are having here they had one heck of an icy mess to clean up on the roads. 

Mick,I am glad to hear your countrymen are willing to help each other.

I am nobody.  Nobody is perfect.  Therefore, I am perfect.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »

I still have a well, all the neighbors have gone on city water.  In case of emergency who will have water?  I also have a generator for power outages.  I can be the sole light on the hill in such situations.  Better to be preparted than not.  Sometimes its best not to moderize.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:49:46 PM »

Brian:
Ain't it nice. Smiley

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next