Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 22, 2014, 12:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cindi-Red Cross answer  (Read 759 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: February 03, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »

It's no secret, but i'll put it here because all the bee people may not want to read about it smiley.

after the kids were gone, and i had some free time, i looked for a way to use some of that outstanding training that the good people of the US had paid to give me in the military.  I'd done 4-H but i didn't think i could handle the parents anymore....and all my girls were turning into teen with BIG hormones.

i needed to update my CPR and while i was taking the class, i asked about disaster volunteers.  next thing i knew, i was taking more classes and chasing storms and stuff.  the biggest deal was Katrina/Rita in 05. 

I figure i am well prepared for the immediate aftermath of a disaster, and that's when i usually go.  I don't mind sleeping on the floor, or taking showers with a rigged hose under a tarp.  I even like MRE's (meals ready to eat)!

my favorite job is driving the big mobile feeding trucks out in the community. 

for anyone with a little time and fortitude, it's a great job!

my bags are always packed....just need the skivvies and socks  grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »

It's no secret, but i'll put it here because all the bee people may not want to read about it smiley.after the kids were gone, and i had some free time, i looked for a way to use some of that outstanding training that the good people of the US had paid to give me in the military.  I'd done 4-H but i didn't think i could handle the parents anymore....and all my girls were turning into teen with BIG hormones.  i needed to update my CPR and while i was taking the class, i asked about disaster volunteers.  next thing i knew, i was taking more classes and chasing storms and stuff.  the biggest deal was Katrina/Rita in 05.  I figure i am well prepared for the immediate aftermath of a disaster, and that's when i usually go.  I don't mind sleeping on the floor, or taking showers with a rigged hose under a tarp.  I even like MRE's (meals ready to eat)!
my favorite job is driving the big mobile feeding trucks out in the community. 
for anyone with a little time and fortitude, it's a great job!
my bags are always packed....just need the skivvies and socks  grin

Kathy, OK I am beyond impressed and proud of you.  I can think of nothing more wonderful in this world than you people that put your lives on the line (and this is true, in every way with disaster response).  Thank you for being there, Kathy.  And I am also grateful for all the others in the world that are "there" for people, and this goes into many different realms of human nature.

If we look at the human beings in the world that help others, it could make your mind boggle.  There are so many that have this wonderful attribute.  I don't think that ever in my wildest dreams I could venture out past my little life here to go elsewhere to help people.  I wish that I could, but it is just not in me.  Now I could bring people here to help them.  That is a different story.

I do not travel well, even heading up to my daughters about 400 km away is a grunt.  It takes me about 3 days to recover from not being in my own environment.  I can travel in our 5th wheel.  I do not have a problem with that.  But I think that is because I am in my element, I am cooking, cleaning, caregiving in the RV.  that is my lot in life, caregiver.  I guess that is what makes the world go round, different strokes for different folks  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:56:13 AM »

i think the only thing that matters is that people do what they are best at doing.

i envy your place and family.  your home and property are beautiful and must make everyone who come there feel good.  my place looks on the edge of being reclaimed by nature!

you have a great big family that depends on you and i'm guessing you are the glue that keeps it all together.  what could be more important.

if everyone would put in some time giving....especially to children.....with skill that they have, we'd all be better off.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »

Kathy, thank you for your words.  It has taken me 17 years of incredible labour between my husband and myself to get our place to look nice and I know that it does, but I am humble about it.  I do not like to be recognized for this work, but then I guess that people that see it cannot help it.  It actually rather embarrasses me because I don't do anything to make my place look nice, except for my own self (and my husband).  I am grateful that I have the strength to work outside as I do, I consider it playing.

Sometimes I yearn to have a place that has been taken back by nature.  I would love to live with nature encroaching upon my life, like on the edge of a forest.  That would be my life dream, sounds like you may be living in something that I would love to live in.  I know that at some point in my life, I will not be able to look after all the work that must be done here to keep this place neat and tidy.  And there will be that day when we live on the edge of a forest and let it be.  Everyone's home is a place of beauty in one way or another, that must be said.

Now that is an interesting thing that you said about my being the glue to keep things together around here.  Ya, you do have a very good point and you must be very insightful, because this is actually VERY true.  I am the oldest female on our property, as you know from previous posts, we have many people sharing our land, to the tune of 18, with adults and kids included.  It is an interesting life with never a dull moment ever.  I have always had many people (particularly family) tell me that when they come here, it is home.  That makes my heart swell too and makes me feel good.  I love to welcome people to my home. 

I am going to tell you something that may sound kind of wierd.  We have lived here for 17 years.  Never once in that 17 years have I locked my house doors.  In the summertime every door and window in the house are open.  I am a fresh air freak and love the draught that the windows and doors allow to blow though my environment.  When my husband and I go out in the daytime during summer, I still do not shut the doors, I leave them open.  We have not ever been ripped off by an outsider coming in to steal (not to say that we haven't been ripped off by the "insiders" of our house over the years).  It is just an interesting point.  I am of the belief that if the doors are open, people think we are home, that is one of my reasons for not locking up.  And we also have dogs, a very good deterent.  I am sure that when someone comes into our driveway and the dogs come charging out of the open doors, that probably scares the pants off them if they don't know the dogs.  Our bedroom door is another matter.  It is locked.  We have a keyless entry on it and NO ONE COULD ever get in there.  Just an interesting thing.

When my husband and I do a little bit of "time off" (man is it needed some times), and we go away for 3 or 4 days, I can tell when return that there has been something very desperately missing from our place.  I can feel the joy when we return.  Even my big tough biker type son-in-law always tells me that thank heavens we are home -- he says things just don't come together when we are  not here.  It is very funny and makes my heart swell.

My sister is a blessing to us.  She leaves her family in their home out the back and comes up to our home to take over the duties of the foster mother, dog mother, garden mother, bee mother and every other kind of mother that you could think of in a communal-type environment we live in.  Her husband stays at her home and looks after things there.  It takes about 1 minute to walk from her house to our house, so it is not very far, should anyone need any "mother" stuff.  She toggles between her house and our house and keeps things right.  I could never express to her how nice it is for me to just let everything go, leave and know that NOTHING will be done any differently than I would do it.  I am a lucky woman.

Yikes, I have a tendency to ramble, don't ask why, but I just do.  Oh well.  Have a great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:15:45 PM »

Kathy you are the gratest
kirk-o

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next