Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 05:02:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tornado ruins south west neighborhood.  (Read 729 times)
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« on: February 02, 2007, 04:50:23 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/02/florida.destroy/index.html

The area listed as devastated is an area know as "The Villages." It is next to Leesburg, Florida. I have been there and I called it Disney World for the retired.
Lots of mansions designer homes and historic downtown that kept up very well.
On certain level it seems a little plastic but it is a great area if you are retired and have money. You wanted things to do with your lesiure time this was the place. Golf carts can be driven on the streets in this area. If you don't have a home or a job there they really don't want you there. I think most of our SW Florida beekeepers don't live near here. Honey hasn't been that profitable.

It seems ironic to me that I understand the last line in the article very well but all I hear in my head is " hey, you kids get off my lawn."

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:29:48 PM »

Brendhan.  When I saw the 6:00 news tonight I saw the Florida hurricane, I was glad when I saw your post and you obviously are not in the area of destruction.  That is a horrible thing.

ARE you in an area where hurricane can come?  Very scary the wind can be.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »

Brendhan.  When I saw the 6:00 news tonight I saw the Florida hurricane, I was glad when I saw your post and you obviously are not in the area of destruction.  That is a horrible thing.

ARE you in an area where hurricane can come?  Very scary the wind can be.  Great day.  Cindi

Florida is one big hurricane area. The big factor is how far you live from the coastline. The closer to the coast the more your insurance is, if you can even get it.

Hurricanes have affected almost every state that borders the ocean from Texas to New York. Usually as they go inland they lose strength. The problem for southern Florida is Lake Okeechobee. This is a huge warm body of water in the middle of the southern part of the state or as a hurricane see it, a rest stop, a place for the hurricane to recharge.

Even if a hurricane is to far north to connect with the lake the state isn 't more than 90 miles wide in the peninsula part of the state. So when a hurricane crosses the state it can recharge itself by the hitting the waters in either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.

Hurricanes spawn tornadoes. So when a class 5 hurricane isn't enough (class 5 equals 150mph / 241 kph of sustained winds) you can end up with some good F3 or better tornandoes.

Also understand that while winds are devastating, the main damage cause by most hurricanes is the storm surge. Hurricanes move oceans and large bodies of water, literally. It is like dropping a bolder in a small pond. The water rushes over the side of the pond. The difference is with the ocean is the coastline has lots of homes and condos. So when that water rushes it destroys the coastline and everything on it.

Please don't think the winds and rains aren't extremely dangerous. Hurricane Andrew was a prime example of what winds and rain can do. Hurricane Katrina was a prime example of storm surge.

Florida gets hurricanes and tornadoes (not frequently). We don't need snow.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:09:23 AM »

Brendhan, thank you for taking the time to elaborate on what the hurricane/tornado is all about down in your state.  I found it extremely interesting and never realized how this disaster of nature actually worked.  Horrible, but very interesting.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next