Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 08:21:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BostonHoax - there goes another $100 million  (Read 3019 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: January 31, 2007, 04:47:59 PM »

I was away most of today and didn't catch the Boston Hoax Bomb packages from its start - but here is a classic case (of course it is early still) where some group of idiots duct tapes a few Lite-Brites in a card board box and we get to see the BILLIONS spent on Home Land Security at work. Am I the only one who thinks that bomb scares like these EXPOSE our security measures through TV News like CNN, FOX and MSNBC?

It is great to see that we have the measures in place (and in great number) to respond to any threats, whether hoax or real but every time we see the FBI and all State, City and Local response teams in action, we weaken their NEXT reaction by exposing them (and their means and manor to response) and each time "Terrorist" have better Intelligence to COUNTER the governments readiness.

Already I'm hearing the Boston Response Team claiming it is the work of ONE MAN or a twisted ads campaign from Cartoon Network's "Adult-Swim" programming. How in a world like ours today could anyone think of placing packages under bridges and high volume traffic areas? Turner Broadcasting is the parent company of the Cartoon Network and a third-party company is in charge of the ads campaign.

Again, by time you read this, we may have all the answers - but it is 4:30pm in Boston and although the TV Networks spin this into something other than it may be, I still find it hard to believe that someone had taken these Lite-Brite like toys and marketed them in this way. It sounds so much like someone took these toys and made-up a bomb scare theme out of them, just to sit back and watch TV and get what jollies he could out of it.

So again, someone yells "Boo" and we spend a hundred million or so in wasted productivity, city disruptions and expose our counter-terrorism efforts to the world. All the bad-guys would have to do is watch and learn, find our weak spots and then attack. I hope that someone pays for this stupid waste of resources.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:02:43 PM »

You can go here and find video and stuff

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070131/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices;_ylt=Ao0wOMmk3PW.cDxdw_5E.ACs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:21:47 PM »

I can't imagine the moron who thought up this ads campaign if that is what it is - surely SOMEONE will be going to jail over this! I want to see the size of the check they'll have to write to cover these expenses - wow!

Follow us on TWITTER

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »

Here is more on it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070131/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices;_ylt=Aomeuqa9BqZsHl5vuFd6t.hvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

They got someone

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070201/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:10:47 PM by Jerrymac » Logged

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

lively Bee's
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 01:19:39 AM »

If they would fine turner for all the clean up and false "bomb" scare this would open some eyes 
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:46:12 AM »

After the US anthrax business, we had all sorts of idiots calling police re: "white powder". Even found it on "locker room floors" and called the cops.

Sometimes people need to be told they are idiots.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 08:11:38 AM »

I can't imagine the moron who thought up this ads campaign if that is what it is

What about the moron who thought up the show about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball who are known for giving the "finger".   Sounds like the ad campaign guy did a "great" job,  otherwise they would have never had anyone interested in the show.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »

Just when you think you've seen it all, out comes the two idiots arrested for causing the scare yesterday in Boston - hope everyone caught their enlightening news conference  rolleyes If you haven't consider yourself lucky.

These two "performance artists" together don't have enough common-sense to tie their own shoes, let known create an elaborate hoax - this was pretty obviously stupidity at its finest. I guess we have a lost generation that these two fruits represent, luckily through the forums I have met several younger members who are articulate, polite and mature for their ages - they re-stoke my belief that all is not doomed in the world.

What started out as bail at $100,000 each turned into $2,500 once the court saw these two couldn't come up with $30.00 to buy a pizza and a 12 pack of beer. But they sure do look like we interrupted their partying by the inconvenient necessities of "protect and defend" the public. I imagine they detoxed a bit overnight and when they had that WORST NEWS COMFRENCE of ALL TIME, they went into shtick about "hair-care" - what idiots.

I'll always remember Big-Rog saying "I'm not Metro-sexual, I'm a real man" and surely these two speak for a large part of WHAT has dumb-downed our work-force, surely they are losers and not "creative artists" beyond a smoke filled room and an empty bong. I know "Crap" often flows upstream, and Turner Broadcasting will probably be some one's target, if only because THAT is where the big money is. But I wouldn't find Turner anymore guilty of this (not knowing all the facts yet, no one does) than I would Wal-mart when they were charged with hiring contractors to clean their stores who hired illegal aliens.

Wal-mart should not be responsible for the hiring practices of another company, the company who hires illegals should be responsible and it should stop there. Same with these idiots, stop the litigation where it should stop, don't climb up the food-chain with hopes of a big paycheck at the end. That mentality only cause more litigation and more important - those really responsible are often not held accountable.

Can't wait for this one to get to Court-TV, as long as nothing good is on Springer that day, I'll watch it  embarassed

Follow us on TWITTER

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »

My understanding is these kids were paid $200 to place these boxes in high visibility areas. I'm not sure why Boston thought they were bombs, and all the other cities thought they were a prank. They have apparently been hanging off overpasses, buildings and the like for over two weeks in Philly. No one believed them to be a bomb. I'm cognizant that law enforcement must prepare for the worst and hope for the best, but they overreacted. Now these kids will have a record over trying to make  few bucks, not intending to hurt anyone, and following the request of their employer who should know better than these kids.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »

I don't think they are helping their case by acting like asses now though.

I do think it was a pretty nifty promo idea,  obviously these 2 jokers where just the grunts and not the brains.

I guess I don't get the bomb idea either.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Having a record comes with stupidity at this level. These two (27 and 28 years old) were 21+ on 9-11 NOT kids then and NOT kids now. Even after being arrested and dragged before the court, they laugh and grin and joke and pull a that idiotic news conference.

Nothing about this was a joke to a city where Flights on 9-11 originated, nor is there anything a responsible adult would find humorous while coming up with this half-baked ads-campaign.

I do agree though that we DO have a real issue with age-related cultural issues. I don't think the police over-reacted since no-one seemed to know what these things were. I assume ask any college kid and he/she could tell you, but not people whose job it is to protect a major city against possible terrorism. If any of these devices were shown on TV early, I'm sure someone would have spotted what they were, BUT that doesn't mean they were NOT used as a diversion to slow law-enforcement from a real bomb or bombs.

The more I think about it, all Turner Broadcasting had to do was APPROVE this Ads-Campaign and THEY bought the bag of crap. Turner hires someone and gives them the power to approve such efforts, crap CAN fall upward.

These two idiots should be used as scape-goats for a whole generation of LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS (in other-words $40,000 of wasted money from Mom and Dad's savings) and these moles of society need a wake-up call. Nope, these guys are NOT KIDS, they weren't kids for a decade and even-though I'm sure they were hitting the green-bud on 9-11, doesn't excuse them being reckless in 2007.

Follow us on TWITTER

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:05:49 PM »

But really. How do you look at one of those and see explosive devise? If I had seen one I might have thrown a rock at it. Every day I see boxes laying around here and there. I see pipes and other junk that could possibly be a bomb just lying there waiting to go off.... Or it could be something the wind blew in or fell from a truck. With ten cities involved in this, why is it Boston thought the things were bombs? They don't even look like bombs.

Jerry

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »

I can't help but agree Jerry that someone in Boston should have been better knowledged in the similar events in other cities - surely HINDSITE is 20/20 and there is not second guessing. Is it ALWAYS better to react then not? I think it a bit of a stretch though to assume the police know what is going on at the Cartoon Channel.

Before 9-11 on our Naval Base we had a bomb alert, no other info was disclosed except a threat existed. A coworker noticed what appeared to be a NEW BOX (about the size of a shoebox) on top of an oil tank holding 240 thousand gallons of fuel. What was his obligation at this point, to contact the other bases and see if THEY also had boxes placed on top of their oil tanks or alert security and let them handle it?

He contacted Security who evacuated part of the facility within a given perimeter, only us sad-saps in the power plant left to fend for ourselves. It was nearly two hours before someone climbed to the top of the tank and found that it was a left-over box from tank-level sensors which were installed about a week before, they forgot to remove the box and it finally blew over toward the tank ladder and got wedged.

It was a big deal with no pay-off at the end except a well practiced drill, which I'll say was greatly attended to by many departments I had never seen before on the base. The attention it got was over-kill but who knew it, a suspicious box and a quarter-million gallons of fuel oil.

Here is a different but true story

Back in 1994 my father was adding a back porch to our house. He broke the foundation under our propane tank and moved the tank. He started to dig out for the new porch foundation and hit something with the shovel. He got a shovel under it and pulled out the object, handing it to me.

Now, I don't know anything about missiles or explosives, but I recognise a GIANT BULLET when I see one! He handed to me (what we found out later) was a live 75mm mortar shell, it was as rusty as the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean and as heavy as a bucket full of water - it was about 16+ inches long and I was a bit concerned about knowing this thing was intact.

Again my Dad's wishes (he wanted to toss it in the dumpster down the road - lol) I chose to call the police after laying it down at the edge of our drive way. The police came and my father started kicking at it with his foot while telling the cop that he found it while digging. The cop said "Stop kicking it" with eyes bulging out of his head - he drove down the street to use his radio.

Now... before I go on, no one started digging up other people's backyard or looking under their propane tanks for bombs, what happened was pretty much new and different to us. Both us and every home for 2 blocks in all directions were evacuated, we were sent down town and in the following order, Naval, Air Force and Army Police asked us to explain what had happened, as they awaited the bomb robot and explosive truck to show up - ugh.

Half the town was there waiting for something, I was hearing all kinds of stories spreading and even had someone tell me someone was held up in their home with weapons and hostages. My Dad still swore afterwards it would have been so much easier to toss it in the dumpster.

The bomb truck showed up, the robot went in and checked the shell, it was taken then by a suited expert into the truck and returned to Fort Dix Army Base (15 miles from here) and then detonated - it was live and our Naval Based figured that it must have been buried in landfill sold from the base decades before when they had a joint effort with the town to improve joint property. The area used for landfill was at one time a shelling practice area and everything was SNAFU on how a live shell somehow went unnoticed and made its way to the public.

I don't know when this could have happened, surely at least a decade before we moved into the house in 1963, maybe another decade before then. But somehow it made it from the base and to our backyard and (of all places) buried under our propane tank. I'm really surprise it was as stable as it was, my tale may have had a very different end if my Dad had whacked it the wrong way with the shovel.

I don't think anything over-kill was done here, we had a live explosive and even it was a dud, who was going to argue that point - surely not me and definitely not that cop - lol.

I can't look back and read the minds of the Police in Boston, but they erred on the safe side and it showed they had forces in place to handle what might have been a real event. I still say it did more damage then good by exposing how a major city was equipped for a terrorist emergency. I would imagine that any plan found in a major city would mimic similar plans in other major cities. Surely there are unique differences from city to city, but generically in the eyes of Homeland Security - all cities are pretty much the same.

Follow us on TWITTER

mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »

Great stories John. In France, Belgium etc, farmers are always turning up old WW1 ammo. They place it at the end of the rows they are ploughing and the Army collect it once a month. It is very common for builders in the UK and Germany to uncover unexploded ammo up to 500 pounders. They reckon these things will continue to be unearthed for another 100 years.

I had a dummy 50mm F-111 canon shell for ages on the mantle piece. I gave it to a collector of these things when I went o/s rather than tisk it cousing trouble to someone that didnt know it was not live.

Aussies have always been great scroungers during the wars. A couple of years ago a skull of a Turkish soldier from WW1 was found in the garage of a digger who had died recently. It was handed to the Turkish Consul, returned to Turkey and buried with full military honours.

As these old blokes die off, lots of LIVE mortar and artillery rounds are being found under houses, in old sheds. We souveniered everything we could get our hands on in those days!
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 07:35:43 AM »

Images are clickable go to blogs or stories.

video goodness

I am not sure where I am going to sit on this issue. But it is interesting to watch both sides.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »

Okay - Since no one from Boston has responded, I will.  I live 30 miles from Boston, and I used to work there daily.

The reason things got so wound up is that earlier that morning, two fake pipe bombs were found in local hospitals. The bomb squad was already on alert, so when the suspicious "thing" got called in being attached to a bridge, they didn't know what they were dealing with and responded as though it could have been related.

Personally I feel that they acted appropriately.  There are some other people in the area that think it was blown out of proportion. As far as I'm concerned, they could have either done "something" or "nothing". They did something and I'm happy with that.

These two "artists" will get off with minimal punishment. The city doesn't really want to do anything to them, they know that they were just out to try to make a few bucks.  They are however going after Turner broadcasting rather heavily.  They have already offered to reimburse the city for the expense involved in all this.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »

if they hadn't responded and something had blown up, we'd all be sitting here wondering why they didn't react.  we now have joined most of the rest of the world.  it is a world in which nothing can be taken for granted, and nothing can be over looked.  i think we are just late to the party.

maybe I'm a little old, but doesn't anyone else remember the PR separatist (terrorist) groups?  or the black panthers and offshoots?  if that's to old for you, you at least remember OK city.  i wonder how many time things have to blow up before people stop complaining that reaction is over reaction?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »

I recall plumbers and electricians being hassled after OK City and other things because they carry around bomb making material. (Wires, pipes.) I even know people that work with printed circuit boards. 

Did Boston start searching every stray box, soda can, and pipe laying around the street?

Yes there is a place where it gets to be excessive. I suppose that place is different for everyone.

Jerry

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 11:11:47 AM »

I'm I the only one who noticed that (in passing) they mentioned they put these in TEN cities?  Only Boston overreacted.  I haven't heard any of the other cities complaining.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 11:22:40 AM »

No! I mentioned that they mentioned that.

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next