Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 22, 2014, 08:43:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And you thought it gave you the munchies  (Read 1252 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: January 31, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »

Cannabis drug may help fight obesity

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070130/hl_nm/cannabis_obesity_dc;_ylt=Asf_lE8rfY5gb8QVeH87_6_VJRIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »

As my Mother battled cancer, I always wished I had the kind of relationship where I could talk with her openly about the medicinal benefits of marijuana - there is no doubt in my mind it would have made life a bit more bearable for her. She was not very open-minded to such things, thus the reluctance to share insight on this topic.

It seemed a bit hypocritical for me to insist she stop smoking cigarettes many years prior (something I was always proud of my Mother to do) and then to introduce her to something that might tease her cravings to smoke again.

This is one topic that is frustrating to many people, it seems not to be a cultural issue in our society, but one of taxation and mandates. I've never thought of it as a GATEWAY DRUG, it isn't the drug that is addictive, the person taking it is. If you have an addictive personality then anything can be considered abusive.

I hope that someday we actually come to common sense about this issue and allow those who need it medically and those who seek it recreationally to come out from behind the murky shadows of street dealers and into the open where this miracle medicine can be better used for good and not tossed into the back alleys like all the other nightmare drugs we hear about.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 01:06:19 PM »

Alcohol is the biggest gateway drug. I have represented thousands of addicted people and always starts w/ alcohol. This would be politically unacceptable position though and all of the legislative focus is on statutorily controlled substances.

As for weight loss, why did I put on so much weight in college, I ask rhetorically?

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:35:41 PM »

MJ, like opiates, probably has it's place in some treatments.  i know of people with MS who claim relief from smoking marijuana. 

there are some problems not only with the drug, but with the medical marijuana laws.  i have observed in Oregon, that many doctors who prescribe pot are of the opinion that it is no worse than an after dinner drink.  they will give it to patients with very little thought even though they would never prescribe opiates for the same patient.  drug seekers find these docs, and pretty soon they have a booming pot prescription business going on.

other problems:  smoking damages the lungs.  the need ought to greatly outweigh the danger of lung damage.  marijuana, as it is now sold, is not standardized.  i may spend a great deal of money on an inferior product one time, and get the good stuff the next.  because of that, it is hart to quantify the effects for each patient.

kids and pot:  my youngest son grew up with 3 good friends.  one went into the military right out of high school (2000). he has made SSGT. one went to college and got his degree.  after that, he went into the coast guard.  my son went to college and upon graduation, went into the navy.  the last boy, went to college.  in the first year, he hooked up with a girl who was heavily into pot.  as far as i know, there were no other drugs involved.  by the end of the year, his grades had dropped.  by the end of the summer, he'd lost his job and could not pay for school.  he is now back at home with his parents (also pot smokers) trying to figure out what to do with his life.  can you blame marijuana for all of that?  probably not, but it is a contributing factor.  his grades dropped because he missed classes and fell behind.  he lost his job because he either didn't show up to work, or was late.  the sad thing is, he was the smartest of the 4 and i thought, had the best chance of going on for graduate work.

i know...it's one example...but show me a kid who is heavily into pot and is motivated and successful.  show me an adult who is.

if we are going to use marijuana as a medical drug, then we need to regulate it as one.  production needs to be standardized, and access limited to those who need it.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

kathyp,

I had heard something like that before. Not sure if it was alcohol or drug related. My thoughts were that it wasn't the item taken but the person. Seems people prone to failure are the very ones that will seek something for a mental crutch. Something to take them away from their problems. I see it as the person would have the slipping down life even if no drugs were involved. Not sure how I am trying to say this. The person is the failure not the substance making him a failure.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:20:31 PM »

Not sure how I am trying to say this. The person is the failure not the substance making him a failure.

i'm all for personal responsibility.  we make choices and we live with them.  i think we need to be a little careful that we don't go back to the "glory days" of the 60's, and make kids think that taking up pot smoking has no potential consequences.  of course...i knew smoking cigarettes was bad for me when i picked up my first one...... smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:37 PM »

I know about those smokes. Been off of them for one year and 24 days now. After about 33 years of smoking.

I admit to trying other things back in the younger years, and yes I did inhale, but I didn't find Mary Jane addictive. I would only partake when I wanted to party. Same with alcohol. Wouldn't touch it unless I was ready to party, then I would about drink everyone under the table.

I did notice how ever that heavy users of pot seemed to have some intelligent issues. Now I don't know if the symptoms cleared up when they quit using, or if they ever quit, or if they had the problem before they started the puffing. But I will include that these people didn't do it on the job. They also sucked the suds pretty heavy and had family problems. Once again, is it the person or the substance?

Jerry

pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »

Jerry, it is the person not the substance. I know of someone that smokes out regular and he seems pretty succsesfull.  Keeps up with the family, bills, and holds down the same job for over 12 years.   I have also seen the oppisite of this fellow and it is not pretty.  Again it is the person not the substance that is a problem.

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »

I've known a lot of really smart weed smokers, often it completes the circuitry in their brain and kicks it into over-drive. I wish I were as "sharp" as half of them. Thinking "out of the box" isn't always a gift, sometimes you need a catalyst to jump-start the creativity in really clever people. Just a thought... A really, really deep thought  rolleyes

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »

sometimes you need a catalyst to jump-start the creativity

hey, some of our best and most artistic, dropped acid.  i don't recommend it...some folks also "flew" off roof tops.  smiley

i smoked and inhaled.  didn't do much for me but make me sleepy.  for most, the occasional use of pot is no more a problem than the evening drink.  that said, it's not something i'd encourage my kids to do...any more than i encouraged them to drink. 

we don't always know what will be a problem for us.  it took me 10 years to figure out that i was addicted to nicotine and then 20 more to try to figure out how to quit.  not there yet.....

it's easier not to do a thing, than to quit doing it after it's an addiction.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next