Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: selling honey rules?  (Read 276 times)

Offline rookie2531

• House Bee
selling honey rules?
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »
If you make your own extractor, is it not allowed to be used if you are selling the honey? Do different states have these rules. I am asking because, someone at a meeting said it. I was thinking if it is clean, what difference does it make?

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
Re: selling honey rules?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
Here, in FL, if you sell less than $15000 annually, there isn't any kind of inspection.  You have to state that you are a cottage food producer and not FL State inspected on the jar.  Over that amount and the State gets involved and you need a certified facility.  In this case I can use a homemade extractor.  But, that's Florida.  See if your state has an ag web site, it may shed some light on things. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
I have heard galvanized is a no-no if you have to go through an inspection. In SC there is no inspection for hand to hand consumer sells under 500 gals. So, they would have no idea what your extractor looked like if you are under this amount and not doing sales for re-sale.

The laws are state specific, so check......
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:00:23 PM by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
You may wish to check, but I think you can use the old extractors once painted with cam cote to seal them.