Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 09:24:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The reality of Australian Shark attacks  (Read 2264 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: January 28, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »

Courtesy herald-sun

Only three years after a tiger shark severed her left arm, Bethany, 16, in Australia for the Roxy Women's Pro, is blitzing the professional surf scene.

But she took time out from her commitments this week on Phillip Island to offer Zac words of encouragement as he recovered from a white pointer attack that cost him a leg.

Bethany said she drew strength from her faith.

"That's where I got my ability to go back out surfing," she said. "You try to keep positive."

Zac said he planned to hit the waves on a body board at the scene of his attack, Wharton Beach on WA's south coast.

"The attack has happened. I don't think it will happen again. I can't wait to get back - it's a great wave."

Zac, 15, lost his right leg and part of his left calf when the shark attacked him at his local break in December.

His brother, Sam, 26, pulled him from the shark's jaws and swam him to shore before two passers-by took him to hospital. He was later flown to Perth for treatment.

"I remember seeing a tail and a fin after the attack, then I looked down and it registered straight away - my leg was gone," Zac recalled.

He revealed how, three days later, his leg washed up on the beach not far from the attack scene, shocking tourists who found it.

Zac, who has undergone a rigorous rehabilitation program, was discharged from hospital on Thursday and was on the beach the next day.

In the meeting with Bethany, arranged by the Sunday Herald Sun, the surfers talked about surf, sharks and how to overcome the physical and emotional turmoil of losing a limb.

Zac, who has put his plasterer's apprenticeship on hold, believes in the power of "mind over matter".

"It is really about being positive, no negative thoughts - just go for it," he said.

Bethany lost her arm on the north shore of Hawaii's Kauai in 2003 when she was 13.

She heard of Zac's ordeal and "didn't like the idea of someone else having to go through such a gnarly thing".

The champion junior, who has surfed since she was five, said her injury would never douse her passion for the sport.

"It's always going to be there - being in the ocean definitely helps.

"I love surfing and I love competing. I'm just going to do my best to become a pro surfer.

"The adrenalin rush is different from any other sport."

Bethany, ESPN's 2004 Athlete of the Year, was eliminated from the Roxy Pro on Thursday, taking her junior professional world ranking to five. The surfing competition, at Woollamai Beach, ends today.

Bethany's ordeal is to be the subject of a Hollywood film, which will have the same title as her book, Soul Surfer.

Those wanting to help Zac with his rehabilitation can donate to a trust fund: Zachary Charles Golebiowski, Commonwealth Bank, Andrew St, Esperance. Account number Golebiowski 066511-10183580.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:47:33 AM »

Its funny, 23 views and no comments. I just wonder what you all are thinking.

Its a shocking pic, but one full of aussie spirit. I guess you just dont know what to say.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:16:51 AM »

OH! You wanted comments on it.

What part?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:32:18 AM »

I think that probably one of the worst things that could happen to a poor soul would be to have something trying to eat a piece of the body.  The horror that would be felt could be nothing on this earth to be compared to.

I admire the courage of these two people to carry on as they are.  Good for them.  We do not have anything in our waters here that cause damage to this extent.  I think that probably one of the worst things would be to have a jelly fish sting ya.  Haven't had this pleasure, but I think that it is painful.  I heard that if one gets stung to pee on the site, that might be hard to do unless you had a cup to do it in.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
brydie
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »

You're right Mick, the Aussie spirit is a strong and brave one that can overcome almost any disaster.  Aussies are true fighters and are always there for their fellow mates.  What a fantastic thing to see a young person such as Bethany take time out to help another person through an ordeal which is nothing short of shocking.  The emotional turmoil of an attack could possibly be far worse than the physical impairment of losing a limb, expecially for a young person who is so passionate about their sport.

Surfing is not only a fantastic physical sport, but it is also a soul connecting, spirit building activity for those who fall in love with the ocean.

Yes in Australia we have many dangerous animals in our oceans, sharks are one, we also have crocodiles and "irukanji" a tiny jellyfish no bigger than your thumb nail - a sting from one of these can stop a human heart in approximately 1/2 hour.  Australia also has the worlds highest number of different species of poisonous snakes.

My husband and I are scuba divers, we have dived with sharks and are not scared.....just deeply respectful, we are in their territory.  I was also deeply into surfing when I lived in NSW (no surf up here in QLD), same with my husband.  We have both surfed with sharks and we respect their prescence.  To be in the water with an apex predator is a humbling experience.

Most surfers would say the same, the truth is both Bethany and Zac love the ocean and surfing, sharks are part of deal.  They are both doing the best thing for their spirit and mind....getting back out there and catching some waves.  So to 2 brave and positive spirits, good luck.

Brydie - Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next