Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 27, 2014, 04:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from New to forum beekeeper Perth Western Australia  (Read 187 times)
rue
New Bee

« on: November 24, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »

Hi All
I am a bee keeper living in the Perth Hills in Western Aus.  I have one hive that I purchased 2nd hand about 18 months ago.  It is an 8 frame Langstroth currently with 2 supers and of course a brood box.  I have limped a long in fits and starts with my bee keeping experience.  Touch wood I have had no disease or weak hive issues.  My current drama is that my bees have become very aggressive in recent months -since requeening themselves in March.  I have a new queen and nuc being given to me by someone who grew her himself for experience but doesn't have room or time to keep the hive.  I was hoping to expand to 2 hives, for insurance if problems in one and because we have a good jarrah flow predicted, but Im considering introducing the new queen to my current hive and disposing of my current one.  I havent linked into my local bee keeping group because of time and distance to travel to meetings so have been isolated with most of my bee keeping journey and all the dramas and joys it can bring.  I have joined here because I have been struggling with the aggressive bees and my other half unhappy about them questioning that I get rid (for days after going into hive they will attack and sting him and the chickens while walking around garden and shed).  So you might hear me SOSing about this on the forum : )  The forum has a wealth of info. Thanks!  : )
jayj200
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »

pinch the queen they will make a new one
rue
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »

thank you.  Maybe I will.  Im fed up of her grumpyness!  A big step for an overly compassionate wanna be organic lady but I might just do that!!
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

Drop the old queen in a jar of alcohol and keep it for swarm lure... queens are too valuable to just kill them...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Eric Bosworth
House Bee

Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »

Welcome!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »

welcome.  some of the best times I have had traveling, I had in Perth!  wink 

If you pinch the queen and allow them to requeen, keep an eye on them that she gets home ok.  Sometimes they don't make it back from mating flights because they get eaten by birds or something. there's tons of info on here about.

pinching her during a good flow is a good idea.  they have plenty of resources to feed a new queen well, and they can store more because they won't be feeding lots of brood for a few weeks.  it can be a win-win for you and them.  a well mated new queen will easily make up the laying.  just make sure she has room and they have not stuffed the hive with honey  grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »

Welcome, may I suggest updating your profile to add your location? A couple of reasons, a lot of beekeeping questions can be location specific, and, there's also several folks on here from the land down under who may be passing through your neck of the woods one day.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next