Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 11:38:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outdated Google Earth  (Read 977 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: January 20, 2007, 10:55:32 AM »

So, I thought I would download Google Earth to have a look around.  Particularly at my place.  I read on the forum that someone could actually see their bee hives.

Good luck.  The site that I downloaded, when I entered my address showed my property indeed.  But the picture that was showing was very old, probably at least by two years.

It showed the property how it looked long before the beginning of 2006.  And it was not very clear at all.  I could kind of make out the structures on the property and other things but very fuzzy looking.

Any comments or help that could assist me in getting something a little more current and that gives a more clear picture?  Help would be appreciately surely.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »

I don't know much of anything about it but I heard they update every five years. So if the picture you see is from 2004 then the next one won't be until 2009.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 12:08:17 PM »

they don't use current photos in most places.  they do update areas after events like the tsunami and katrina/rita.  they both got updates the next year.

they also are kind of careful about updating sensitive areas.  remember the brits found google maps and pic on some if the guys they killed.  brits figured that was how some of the targeting was so accurate. 

i'm pretty sure i have a neighbor building behind me.  wish they'd update my area!  whatever he's building, it's probably illegal and most times i wouldn't care, but i really don't like this guy smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »

I have yet to see my RV in my yard which we bought in July 2003 - same old pic of empty yard. The only thing new new about the software update (latest) really does update SOME areas which previously were just a blur at 2000 ft even and the new controls (especially the little thumb-wheel) in the center of the arrowed area really makes for fun moving around when the land scape is tilted.

Short example, I was able to rotate the view so I was in a shallow fly-over mode (low flying helicopter view) and I used this virtually drive to work using the thumb-wheel. They have a very good view over my area and it isn't of course so you can tell the difference between the cat and dog in the yard - they SELL images of that resolution not offer them free. But what we get for free still impresses me on the net Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
ChickenWing
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »

Google Earth uses images from various sources, and they are of varied resolutions and ages.  The higher population or more interesting areas tend to be in higher resolutions, and therefore clearer, because they usually get scanned more often. This is general, but not the rule.  Mostly it has to do with availability of the images.  Some areas are almost entirely available in Hi-Res. 

The photos on average  tend to be 2-3 years old, some quite newer, and some quite older.  I have seen the photos of my home update 3 times in the last couple of years.  Keep checking back, one day it may be updated. 

You can view the date of the photo by selecting the DC-Coverage boxes. 

When they update the software, it is just the interface.  The photos downloaded from a server while you zoom in on them.  All versions of GE use the same photos pay plan or free.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »

Thanks all, that was good information.  I don't know where I got the impression that it was a satellite that was active and it would show a picture "now" of areas.

Of course, that makes 100% good sense that pictures are only updated every few years.  Right, just did not think of that.  I think that sometimes I am too kniave with my cosy little reclusive lifestyle here in the country.  It's hard to think outside of this box.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next