Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 04:19:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOGS GETTING LYME's from DEER TICKS  (Read 1636 times)
reinbeau
Super Bee

« on: January 02, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »

After your words about the deer tic and Lyme's I have a huge pine tree in a corner of my yard that I have never trimmed the bottom branches off.  The dogs love to go to this corner in the bushy branches and bark at the people that may walk down the street.  It is their retreat.  But I have convinced my husband that we should alter the yard fence to be on our side of this conifer, because I am a little more worried than ever about the tics getting the dogs and having the tics dislodge after filling their stupid gut and then climbing back on someone or something.  As I told you before, I think that one of my dogs does have Lyme's disease, but in a carnivore form, I don't know if that is possible, but I still think she is afflicted.

Again, why on earth are there such blood sucking parasites that cause such devastation to our breed?  I don't believe there is a place on earth for them, no matter what.  Great day.  Cindi
Cindi, just so you know, dog ticks don't transmit lyme disease.  Deer ticks do.  They're tiny little buggers, they don't get big and grey the way the dog ticks do, you most likely won't notice them when they bite.  The bullseye rash isn't even a constant, my son had it and we never once saw the tick, the bite or the rash.  Thankfully we caught it just before it went chronic!  There are many dogs out there with Lyme, poor things. 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:45:53 AM »

Ann, could you please elaborate further about the deer tic and dogs.   You indicated that "dog" tics  don't transmit Lyme's.  Yes, the tics I have ever seen on the dogs do get that big ugly blue/grey butt.  Dog tics.  Is it the deer tic ONLY that transmit's Lyme's. 

You said that there are many dogs out there that suffer from Lyme's.  Do you know of this?  If you do, could you please share some information.  I am terribly worried that one of my dogs may have this disease.  And if you could give me information on the symptoms, I would be very happy, and maybe I could ascertain better if she was afflicted or not.

I put a post on the forum some time ago about asking if anyone knew about carnivore Lyme's disease, but did not get any responses to this, as far as the doggie world goes.  Have a great day Ann.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »

Deer ticks and dog ticks are the same tick I belive.  The reason the get the big but is from all the blood they suck up.  I am not an expert on this, it is just my 2 cents from long term observation. cool

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »

Don't be fooled by getting the two mixed up - a Deer Tick is no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence and will NOT get bigger. It carries Lymes and transmits it to anything it attaches itself to. This seemingly tiny creature nearly killed me and and has given me short term memory problems and some minor neurological issues I rarely talk about.

There is SEVERE DIFFERENCES between tick types. Think yourself lucky to find a big old fat tick on you - you are not likely to even see a Deer Tick it is so small - smaller than varroa, hopefully you won't just see the effects later when you are suffering the joint paint and possibly much much worse.

I ended up in the hospital a week and 3 months of daily antibiotic shots from my one encounter. Sadly, I now have anxiety, headaches and memory issues. The sad part is, you don't need to go into the woods, they are in the grass and garden, on your pets and sneak into your homes easily hitch-hiking.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »

cindi,

google dogs and lyme disease.  there are a number of web sites that explain the disease and symptoms.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »

cindi,

google dogs and lyme disease.  there are a number of web sites that explain the disease and symptoms.
Kathy, shall do, and that is an awesome idea, I just get rather lazy.  Great day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:47 PM »

Just refound this thread, Cindi, sorry for not responding.  The others did a good job of explaining the difference between the ticks.

Here is a Google search on canine lyme disease.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »

thanks Ann, after all is said and done, I looked at the site, I don't think that my dog by any means has Lyme disease.  Thank goodness.  She is displaying some strange type of "chewing" gum action when she sleeps.  I have had dogs with full blown grand mals and light epilepsy, not either of these.  Oh well, it doesn't seem to bug her too much, just me, when she does this clacky noisy thing I have to tell her to go sleep somewhere else, she does. It makes her thirsty.  She is 10, lovely old girl, lab X rottie.  So, I guess I'll just try to ignore her trying to "chew gum" in her sleep.  LOL.  Great day.  Cindi

KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 12:16:23 PM »

Dogs get lyme's disease. In fact, retrievers dont do very well w/ the disease and often have kidney failure. They die more freequently than other breeds. As such, My lab is given the vaccine for lyme's. Updated annually. getting rid of a tree wont solve your tick problem b/c they're everywhere. Good tick drops between shoulders, vaccines and physical inspections are the only course of action-or keep dog inside all the time. Not an option for my lab, he just loves being outdoors.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:41:30 AM »

Also, there are a number of tick borne viruses that dogs and people can suffer from. The black legged tick is a heavy carrier of other nasty things, and I just pulled one off my retriever's head three days ago.  They are a little bigger than deer ticks, but not as big as dog ticks.
We've had a banner years for ticks and I think it will just get worse this year with the mild winter.

Please use tick repellents on yourselves and frontline or equivalent on your dogs.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »

Also, there are a number of tick borne viruses that dogs and people can suffer from. The black legged tick is a heavy carrier of other nasty things, and I just pulled one off my retriever's head three days ago.  They are a little bigger than deer ticks, but not as big as dog ticks.
We've had a banner years for ticks and I think it will just get worse this year with the mild winter.

Please use tick repellents on yourselves and frontline or equivalent on your dogs.
Amy
I must do more research on the tics and what disease they each carry and whatspecies is indigenous to our area.  We have so much bush around here that the kids and dogs all play in.  I am seriously considering getting us all to the doctor (18 of us) and getting the Lyme's disease vacinne, but I am doing research for sure (and 6 dogs). 

I think that this is important.  We have had an unseasonably cold winter as well.  Hoping that this will have helped diminish populations of blood suckers.  That is the only name that they rightfully deserve.  Our tic season begins here around April, so I have a little time to do the work.  Thanks for your input.  Great day.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next