Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 10:17:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hello new beekeeper looking for info  (Read 1473 times)
wtiger
House Bee

« on: January 12, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »

Hello My father and I are going to get our first 2 hives this spring.  It seems like it would be fun and interesting to us and it will give us something that we can do together; Since I live close to him.  I have been reading the forum and beekeeping websites trying to get a handle on what is necessary.  I'm thinking we're going to go with an all medium wood hive and wood frames with plastic base along with all the other equipment that a beginner needs.  All of this has been fairly easy to find online.  The thing I've having trouble finding are apiaries that ship bee packages through the mail.  Could someone help me out and give me some places to call or websites to visit?  The closest one I could find that I could pick up bees from is in Kansas city; which is clear on the other side of Missouri from where I'm located.  If the local beekeepers association can't hook me up with bees I'll have to order them.

many thanks,
           The Aspiring Beek
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »

hi, it will be easier to help you when you have questions if we know where you live.  different areas have different issues. 

also, do a search here and elsewhere on plastic foundation.  some use it with success.  some have great problems.  as a beginner, wax foundation might work better, and it doesn't cost much if you order it in bulk.

as for bees....again, if we know where you are, answering that question will be easier.  i get mine through my local bee supply store.  they take orders and get a huge shipment.  some people order packages independently and i'm sure you can get good info for your area from someone here.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »

A way to find the ones that ship and up to date contacts is through the American Bee Journal or Bee Culture.  Lots of ads for queen and package shippers there.

http://www.dadant.com/journal/index.html

www.beeculture.com

-r

Rick
hilltop hives
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »

I ordered 3 packages of Russians from Jester Bee in West Ridge, AR.
nepenthes
Field Bee

Little honey bee in flight

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »

Sounds like you are in Missouri right?

"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »

nepenthes, good catch.  i should have read a little more carefully......however, the next questions asked might not include locations so adding location to info would help in the future smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »

I have noticed a lot of people from Hopelessly Lost these days.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »

Look for a local club.  They usually know of shipments being brought in or they arrange them.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
wtiger
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 12:40:46 AM »

I'm located about 40 miles S SW of st. louis missouri.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »

Check with the local Agricultural Extension Agent and ask about beekeeping clubs.

Michael Bush
-------------------
wtiger
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »

I actually have a meeting in two days.  I guess I'll just wait til then and see.
wtiger
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:33 AM »

Also I think next year I'll probably start building my own equipment.  Using the equipment To draft some schematics to work off of.    I'm not a carpenter by trade, but I do have a modest sized woodturning shop with all kinds of industrial woodworking equipment.  14" Powermatic table saw, chop saw,  a 26" carbide insert planer, 110" carbide insert jointer, routers, band saw, a CNC mill, hydraulic and CNC lathes, etc.  Or is it cheaper/easier just buying mass produced woodware from somewhere?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »

>Or is it cheaper/easier just buying mass produced woodware from somewhere?

If you have free scrap lumber it's much cheaper to build your own (free).  If not, it's usually cheaper to buy it already made.

Michael Bush
-------------------
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next