Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 06:54:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aussie Bush fires Here you can watch a ski lodge burn down live.  (Read 2043 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: January 12, 2007, 03:23:52 AM »

http://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/buller3.htm

Does not look good.

maybe the retardant has worked, or they are about to bring in a tanker?

touch and go, too dangerous for fire crews to go any closer. Building is 100 yards away.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 04:33:13 AM »

The guys are still just to the left of the cam, situation changing by the minute.

50 firefighters from British Columbia flew in this week to lend a hand, good onya boys!

That bloke from the ute is either having a gander, or retrieving the static hose.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:09:46 AM »

First flames, not long now. The building is the commentary box used for the world skiing championships of some description.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:35:58 AM »

Gone dark now, cam will only come alive if the fire hits the building. At this stage, no alerts posted, so can only presume fire retardant/water bombing and hoseline did the trick. Hoseline was definately removed. They might also have conducted some backburning.

Fingers crossed, morning will reveal all.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »

Mick,kind of a dumb question.  You said 50 firefighters flew in from British Columbia.  Is that in my country, Canada, or is there another British Columbia somewhere else? 

Those fires are really awful things now, I wish that they would stop.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
nepenthes
Field Bee

Little honey bee in flight

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »

I do believe theirs a British Columbia in South America, I failed geography though... so I don't rember. It could just be Colombia down in South America...  huh

"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »

Theres only one British Columbia I know of, that is the one that the United States is attached to. .

The canadians offered to help, and we are happy to have them here. Its also important experience for the guys to have.

The building is still standing this morning amid the smoke.

Lightning statred a lot of fires thuis week, as I type houses at Tatong are under threat from the fire 100 yards away.

Geoff I believe is at the place on the map called sale, all the dark areas are/were national parks. Not a lot left, and we are expecting it all to be burnt by the end of summer. It will regenerate no problem.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »

Mick, well then, I am proud of my fellow British Columbians, that is the province that I reside in.  I wonder what part of B.C. the helpers came from.  We have a volunteer department in our city, they are not paid for the work that they do so faithfully and hard.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »

We here in the US and Canada exchange Fire fighters quite frequently.  In times of disaster groups of Medical teams from Vancouver and Seattle fly all over the world to help out.  Its called Doctors without Borders and is headquartered in Seattle.  From the Tsunami in Ache to the Hurricane Katrina and else where you'll find doctors from B.C. and Seattle all over the world.  The State of Washington and British Columbia have the best exchange of crisis volunteers in the world.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »

Brian, now that is very nice information that you were able to provide about the Doctors without Borders and so on.  I learn many new things every day, and that is good for body and soul.  Great day.  Cindi

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »

Oregon has Northwest Medical Team.  they also travel all over the world.  they do a lot of trips to places that need medical care unavailable in their own countries and they also do disasters all over the world.  my husband does yearly trips with volunteer military medical teams to do the same kind of stuff.  he's been to Africa a couple of times and Thailand a couple of times.  it is amazing how many people are willing to give time and skills when it's needed. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 05:12:01 AM »

The re-birth of the forest after the big burn.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 02:08:24 AM »

US firefighters have flown home after a lovely stay. No doubt 20 kilos heavier due to all those sausage sizzles, CWA brekkies and BEER.

Thanks for your help you blokes!

The Canadians are still running around somewhere.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »

Mick, it sounds like the fires are pretty much done?  I am grateful for that thought, it must have been a terrible thing to have lived through, no doubt.  Best of days.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next