finsky's statement lacks something. and i think we all know what.
Who knows and what knows? That one sentence should contain everything - hick! There is no great secret in this issue.
Most beekeepers do not know why bees swarm!
Basic is that honey bee reproduce in that way - few knows that
Non swarmy is feture made by beekeeper's selection - much fever knows that
If colony is weak, it is not eager to swarm.
Some bee strains swarm as surely as sun rises. Crainian bee is too sawrmy to me. How to get non swarmy hive to swarm?
* hive is become full of honey - give all the time new space where bees put nectar rippen.
* hive is too crowdy - hive will be crowdy even if it is empty of honey. Bees need just room to expand.
* laying space is missing - very small nucleus will swarm if queen has no space to lay.
* keep od queens.Why to get non swarmy bee strain?
* when hive is big it gathers honey best - but biggest colonies swarm first!
* non swarmy strain is result of human selection = bee breeding. Non swarmy = non reproducing is unnatural feature.
* If colony have natural instincts, it swarms when yield is at it's best. That is great idea of nature but disaster of beekeeping.
I just had very distant beeraces which I crossed: Italians and Elgons. Hybrids become too swarmy, worse than crainians.
I explained to me that "nonswarmy" features are in different genes and it is abnormal feature in nature. When I crossed those strains, genes were healed. Hybrids were swarmy and agressive.
Agressive means that they protect they home and stores. It is natural habit. Unnatural is that bees not attach on beekeeper.
I have had 30-40 years ago "Rural German Black bees" . No one breeded them and they were awfull to keep. The size of colonies were 1-2 Langstroth boxes and then it swarmed. Then I got Caucasian bees. Origin was from Canada. I start to get honey yields.
In those good old days in Finland guys had old fassion hives which has 2 box space. When They byed selected new bees, they got again only brood and swarms - because that beestrain needed 6 boxes space. They said that bees are not good. But however, it is nice that you know all. - If you know a little you know all. Don't try more. It is only bad to your soul. And honey selling is worst.
To get rid of swarming - buy commercial queens.
To get swarm - let bees raise their own queens and do not make selection= breeding.
Nature knows better, but only in that case if you do not know.