Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 29, 2014, 01:42:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos -- Beekeeping for Dummies  (Read 1335 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: December 26, 2006, 06:07:03 PM »

Well, many of you have probably heard of Howland Blackiston's book named "Beekeeping for Dummies".  I was reading in John's (our Beemaster) on-line bee journal that he was doing some photography for Howland.  So, I dug out my copy of this book and looked at the pictures.  Now I would say that John is a very accomplished photographer.  And his name is in the credits in the book.

Good for you John!!!  I am proud that you helped this author put together a beautiful book. My praise goes out.  Have a great life (and great day, John).  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »

Thanks Cindi:

I don't mention it much (strangely I did though in a PM - lol) but it was a 6 month project almost, Howland is a great guy to talk with and we talk a few times a year still. I only wish I got a percentage of sales based on the selling power of that cover shot - Howland says it is the primary attention getter on all the shelves.

Most people read very little of a book and the cover art is a huge mental picture of the content included, I'm pretty sure the book is now in its 12th or maybe 13th printing: At 80 thousand books per print that tells me a million books are out there with my photo on it  grin

Like I said before, this website has introduced me to some interesting people. Howland found a few of my online photos, contacted me by email and we struck a deal for a bunch of photos - sadly, I got sick with the Lyme's and was not able to get all the images, but I did get a bunch - so all in all it was a great project.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 07:46:04 PM »

John, good for you!!  At least you got some pics done before that bugger of Lyme's disease.  If I could turn back time, you would never have encountered that dreadful tick.

After your words about the deer tic and Lyme's I have a huge pine tree in a corner of my yard that I have never trimmed the bottom branches off.  The dogs love to go to this corner in the bushy branches and bark at the people that may walk down the street.  It is their retreat.  But I have convinced my husband that we should alter the yard fence to be on our side of this conifer, because I am a little more worried than ever about the tics getting the dogs and having the tics dislodge after filling their stupid gut and then climbing back on someone or something.  As I told you before, I think that one of my dogs does have Lyme's disease, but in a carnivore form, I don't know if that is possible, but I still think she is afflicted.

Again, why on earth are there such blood sucking parasites that cause such devastation to our breed?  I don't believe there is a place on earth for them, no matter what.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 09:28:03 PM »

Mwaaaaaaaah image a dollar a book, or even 10 cents!!!
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:49:38 AM »

Mick:

In hind site I would have gladly agreed to a penny per copy, I was paid well for my contributions and someday hope to put my own writing skills to further use. For those who find my stuff long winded, maybe book form is what they need Smiley

Of course, my beekeeping knowledge is at best amateur, no matter how many years of experience I tend to shy away from most of the beekeeping related forums because I know we have many people aboard the forums with far greater knowledge in all beekeeping topics.

I'm happy to be the host, something I reaslised early on was going to be my role, and I'm delighted to be just that. I have learned a lot from all the wonderfully educated people who have offered such great insight - being the host guy ain't so bad Smiley

Yep... a penny a copy... Maybe we wouldn't retire, but we'd eat out a whole lot more Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »

You are talented guy John keep going
kirk-o

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »

Kirk-O:

Thanks for the kind words... You surely are a prolific writer lately, I see a top 10 position in some ranking for you in the future. Just remember, quality exceeds quanity everytime. Best Wishes Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next