Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 26, 2014, 12:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Glass is Half WHAT???  (Read 2314 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: December 22, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »

How many times have you heard that tired old question, "Is the glass half full or half empty?" Personally I don't think there is enough information in the question to formulate an intelligent answer. It would all depend on if the glass was being filled and stopped being filled at the halfway point, that would be half full, or was it completely full and was being emptied and stopped being emptied at the halfway point, that would then be half empty.

Now let us examine this a little further. (You thought it was an easy question?) rolleyes

If the glass had been filled up to the halfway point and then set aside, never to have any water added, ever, then the glass is half empty. Yes it is. Because sooner or later there will be no water in the glass. It will get spilled, drank, drumped, or it will eventually evaporate. Sure... Go ahead and place it outside and hope it will rain just to prove me wrong. But it will be empty at some point in time. (What about your leaky pipe?) Now if you place it in a secure place and put a lid on it, well then you only have a half a glass of water.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:42:33 PM »

The secret is realize that there is no glass.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »

But there is a glass. I saw it.

If there is a half a glass of water would it be a full glass if it were cut in half?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »

since the only way to cut most glasses in half is vertically then i think all the water will run out.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:57:58 PM »

Gee Jerry:

Since this is a metaphorical question and not one of glass and water, but one of one of relative optimisism, I thought for sure "your answer" would be "the glass is surely half empty, but my 5000 gallon potable water tank in my sub terrain bunker is topped off to the brim  grin

In all seriousness though, I'm not clear on this myself, although I tend to think of the glass as half full BUT am always searching for more water knowing that someone will eventually take a drink.

It is like winning a million dollars (assuming they took no tax away) you only need spend a single penny and you fall from the grace of the millionaire title like a brick. It all goes back to the fragility of the human spirit, sure we can hope that even a rainy day is followed by a sunny one - but when 10 inches of flooding rain dump on your head, the last thing you think about is sunshine.

I look for the half full glass, but always afraid to take a sip, no one likes to Jones on water - lol. (especially when your Bogarting' all that potable water)  tongue

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations page link for more details. Please help if you can.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »

An optimist says its half full, a pessimist says its half empty.....what sort of person does that make you?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 09:21:49 PM »

The optimist thinks we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist is afraid he's right.

Michael Bush
-------------------
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »

the glass is half empty so we keep looking for more water to make it all full........if you look at the glass as half full, you might be satisfied with that. while you sit there all satisfied that you have half a glass of water, the water evaporates.  before you know it, you have an empty glass and die of dehydration!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »

I'm very optimistic that the glass will soon be empty.

Jerry

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 07:16:03 AM »

I hope no one is drinking from my glass! Wink
organicgrl37
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 11:48:28 PM »

I have always thought that it depended on what is in the glass. If it is a nice, yummy mead it is always have empty. If it is some aweful icky medicine, it will always be half full. It just the way it is, whether you are an optimist or pessimist.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 04:34:38 AM »

Optimist
Pessimist

Isn't there a third? What about realist?

Jerry

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 09:03:33 AM »

Jerry Can A REalist even tackle this question - or do they just claiM ALL are RIGHT and WRONG at the same time?

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations page link for more details. Please help if you can.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »

A realist is the one who brings up the effect of evaporation.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »

grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbeejr
Josh
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

it all depends on which way it is cut if it is cut verticaly then the water will just run out but if u cut it horizontily it would be half full. tongue

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 06:40:59 AM »

A realist is just a pessimist in denial about being a pessimist.

Michael Bush
-------------------
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »

realist is just a pessimist in denial about being a pessimist.

no, no!  a realist is a lateral thinker.  they try to see all angles of a subject and consider ramifications of all possible actions.  some of the actions and consequences are bound to be bad, but that doesn't make the realist a pessimist for considering all sides!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next