Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 10:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The day I met the Man in Black, the late great Johnny Cash  (Read 870 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: December 16, 2006, 06:01:11 AM »

Well posting about those DVDs made me want to put on the Highwayman DVD, which reminds me about the time I met Johnny Cash.

I had discoverd John C in the late 70s when Disco music had taken over the country. I hated it and still do, well a lot of it. I was into Racing: horses, dogs, 2 flies crawling up the wall, you name it and the racing radio station played a lot of country music, so it was either country or disco and I chose country.

SO I was familiar with all his classic songs, Folsom Prison, Boy named Sue, Ring of fire etc. I had a pretty good voice then and used to love singing and imitating as you do, I was still in High School.

Anyway one day in the early 80s I was in Sth. Melbourne, just on the edge of the city, walking along having a look around like I used to do. There was a bloke just standing on the corner, not looking lost, but certainly looking like a tourist. He was dressed in jeans and a suit jacket type of thing.

As I got closer, I got a huge tingle up my spine, I cant tell you exactly what I said to myself as it is a family forum, but I was pretty excited. It LOOKED like Johnny Cash, I knew he was in town, but there were no minders, no body guards nobody but this guy. I walked along towards him, grinning like a loon probably and this is what took place.

"Excuse me Sonny, which way is it to the City"?

My kness trembled, I said "You just walk that way for 15 minutes and youre in it"

He said "Thank you Son".

I said, like an idiot "Are you Johnny Cash"?

"Well yes I am, who are you"? said he and he stuck out his huge paw to shake my trembling hand.

I introduced myself and said "Do you want me to get a taxi for you Mr. Cash?

He said "No thank you Son, I prefer my freedom", and he said "You can call me John"

I said, "Wow it is great to meet you Mr. Cash, just keep walking you wont get lost".

"Thank you Son" and off he went, just strolling along.

It was amazing, I feel really lucky to have met him just like that, when I know people have queued for days to see him. I still get the tingle just typing this.

Of course, I kicked myself for days, not having walked along with him, and wishing I had said all sorts of smart things,  but I didnt want to be a pest.

His humility left a lasting impression on me and his attitude became a yardstick for all the other "famous" people I have met. None have come close, especially the local celebreties who could learn a lesson from him.

It was sad to see him pass away, however he kept singing and recording, and his last record, just before he died, American V is a beautiful work. I know he was in a wheelchair and basically blind at the time.

I know the death of his soulmate June, a couple of months before that recording, left a huge hole in his heart and he couldnt wait to catch up to her. He did, only a couple of months later.

Vale, John Cash. R.I.P.

Mick

"I thank god for all the freedoms we`ve got in this country, I cherish them....even the right to burn the flag... you know, Im proud of those rights. But Ill tell you what, we`ve also got a right to bear arms and if you burn my flag, Ill shoot you".

Johnny Cash 1990
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:04:54 AM by mick » Logged
organicgrl37
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 10:51:59 PM »

I grew up on Johnny Cash. My father was stationed with him in Germany during the Korean war. My father said that he was a "good guy" and a "fine beer drinker". "And boy could that guy play the guitar!" It was a huge lose to the music world when he passed away. I listen to him pretty regularly at our house. My father is in his end stages of alheimer's disease, most days we hardly get a reaction out of him let alone a word, but if you but on some Johnny Cash you get a grin from ear to ear.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:25:58 PM »

Thats a nice tale. Alzheimers is a terrible thing, but you often hear that music gets a reaction. Just goes to show how important music really is to all of us.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 09:19:06 PM »

Many famous people are very normal in real life.  Unforunately what we hear about, most of the time, are the abnormal ones.  too much excentricity has its down side--egomania be a chief malady.
I've meant famous people who fit in the the Johnny Cash mode and those who fit into the Snoop Dog bunch.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next