Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 06:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great big turkeys  (Read 1010 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: December 22, 2006, 09:38:11 AM »

OK, so I am sitting here typing on the computer.  I am looking at my coffee table in my living room infront of me. On it sits the two 20 pound turkeys that are thawing, awaiting the maple syrup brine that we brine them in for a day or two before the big cook.

I am taking my imagination to the fullest.  Next year, I plan on having two 20 pounds turkeys that we grew ourselves sitting on the table in front of me.  Now that will be a happy day.  I cannot wait to see what the difference would be, store bought, home grown....hmm...I think I will go for the latter.

I am going to try to grow the biggest turkey that I possibly can for our next years Christmas dinner.  I wonder if they would just keep growing and growing if I nourished one for a couple of years.  It would be cool to have a 50 pound turkey to try and fit into my oven.

We have about 40 people coming for our celebration dinner.  Now that is alot of food.  My family are enormous eaters and I am grateful that I will have the help of my sister to bring it on.  I have delegated the desserts to my neice, she loves to bake pies, and we love to eat them so I let her do her thing.  Although I heard through the grapevine that she then delegated my sister-in-law to cook a few pies too.  Guess she was overwhelmed with so many pies to make.

All our vegies will come from our own preserved that we worked on last summer.  Narry a vegetable bought, except for the potatoes.  Our home grown potatoes were gone a long time ago.  We even have to take it to the limit, our own home grown brussel sprouts.  Those little baby cabbages (LOL), the ones that people either love or hate, can't wait....these are the vegies that will be on our table:

turnip and carrot smashed together
Creamed cabbage (a white sauce over cabbage)
Beets -- pickled, boiled, and Harvard
brussel sprouts
green beans
peaches and cream corn
candied yams
a huge salad
my own cranberry sauce
potatoes, of course

And I think that is it for the vegies.  It will be fun, I will have many hands to help me cook.  Great day. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »

Hmmm, maple syrup brine, thats a new one, I spose its to make the skin all crispy.

I saw on TV someone deep frying a whole turkey, looked like a good way to burn the house down, but they were outside.

Turkey this year is about 5 dollars a pound for a whole bird, which is a lot for a heap of bones and sinews.

I think I might just get some legs this year, I like them.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:16:23 PM »

Is that the same as $5.00 USA money type dollars?Huh  shocked

Wonder what it cost to ship Turkeys to Ozzie from Texas.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
the kid
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:29:42 PM »

If you are looking for a large turkey to raise and want a good one ,,,,look into the golden turkey ,,,, afew years ago my son thought it would be nice to have a home growen one ...   we had to dress it out three weeks be for thanksgiving or buy a  bigger roaster  we already had one for a 24 pound bird   as it was it was hard to get in the darn roaster .....the bird was good but big not much left as we also eat good.
 so if you want a bigger bird  try the golden turkey

the kid
        tommy
organicgrl37
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:45:51 PM »

Way back when I lived in Ma and worked at a place called Overlook Farm... The farmer steward Dale and I decided to raise turkeys to sell for the holidays. We ordered the chicks way too early and when thanksgiving rolled around we had so whoppers. I talked my mom into buying the 38lb turkey by convincing her it weighed just 30lbs. I can't remember the other weights but we did end up donating a few to the local food shelters and kitchens because they where the only ones with ovens big enough to cook them in. One guy told us he had to use his axe to cut his turkey in half to fit it in his roaster. The next year we bought our turkey chicks a "little" bit later cheesy cheesy
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 08:40:28 AM »

OK, I would be into raising a 40 pound turkey, that would be cool, I would cook it as a "garbage can" turkey.  We do that sometimes when it is spring or fall, even summer and it is not too cold to go outside.  Put the turkey on a rack (in our fire pit), place a metal garbage can over it, put bricketts all around it to seal the bottom and let it rip.  In about 3 hours there is the most beautiful and moist turkey cooked that you can even imagine, not a great abundance of juices, but you do get some to make a gravy.  We do that with roasts in summer too, saves on the hot kitchen oven being on.  Great day. Off to stuff turkeys soon.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Kirk-o
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »

I want to go to cindi's for dinner
kirk-o

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next