Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 15, 2014, 06:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting keyboard tip  (Read 2253 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: December 01, 2006, 09:04:50 AM »

Many of you may know this, many not, but did you know, using the keyboard shortcuts are a great tool for many things.  If you want to quickly post after you have typed one, instead of clicking on "post" with the mouse.  Use the key combination.  Alt + S, this is fast and you don't have to scroll down to the end of the post to push the post button.  When I am finished typing a post, I see that (well at least on my laptop) I have to actually scroll down to see the post button to activate it.  Just a tip, learn to use the keyboard shortcuts, it is so much more user-friendly than the mouse, there are other shortcuts too, saves time.  Great day. Cindi
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 07:22:35 PM by Cindi » Logged

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »

this tip will be escpecially appreciated by the beemaster, hehe
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »

Cindi:

I use the PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN buttons to quickly move up or down, not sure if you tried those. I know when it comes to typing, we all fall into a ZEN state and our fingers do whatever we taught them through repetitive muscle memory. Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »

Cindi:
I use the PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN buttons to quickly move up or down, not sure if you tried those. I know when it comes to typing, we all fall into a ZEN state and our fingers do whatever we taught them through repetitive muscle memory. Smiley

Another tip, I don't know if all keyboards are the same, but on my laptop, on the right hand side there is the "home" and "end" button.  This takes to the beginning and end of posts, more than useful for many things like that. 

Control + A = select all
Control + C = copy
Control +  S = save
Control + V = paste (don't know why is is a "v")
I come from a breed of keyboard users, the mouse is awesome, but there are so many great shortcuts.  Hope this will help a little for speed.
And remember, the best one of all is
Alt + s for posting a post!!!  Have fun ya'll. 
Great day. Cindi
Man, I gotta be more careful with the "quote" thing, I keep typing my text in the wrong spot and then my new text comes up in the "quote" area.  Yikes!!!  Haste makes waste.  Great day. Cindi

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:07:10 AM by Cindi » Logged

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Mici
Super Bee

tougher than rock

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 09:19:46 AM »

i gues V is for paste, coz P is already used for "print"
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 09:36:19 AM »

I've all but convinced myself that the 'V'  represents an arrow head pointing down to where you want the text pasted Huh

I think I spend too much time trying to understand the why of things?

Can I convince anyone else?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 10:13:45 AM »

I've all but convinced myself that the 'V'  represents an arrow head pointing down to where you want the text pasted Huh

I think I spend too much time trying to understand the why of things?

Can I convince anyone else?

Never could figure out the why of "V", maybe it is because it is nearby the the "x" which is cut, ha, ha, now, go figure out that one, I think that someone just tried to mess up keyboard fanatics go a little bit crazier, P for print, yeah, that does make sense.  Great day. Cindi

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 07:19:36 PM »

okay here are some more:
ctrl + tab switch between tabs in your browser (mozilla and firefox, not internet explorer)
ctrl + w close the active tab in your browser (warning if it is your last tab you will close your browser)
alt + tab switch between applications on the desktop
alt + m minimze (in windows this minmizes everything, in FreeBSD this minimizes the active window)
alt + f4 close the application
alt + left arrow go back one page
alt + right arrow go forward one page
ctrl + r refresh page

There are tons more and you can easily find them with a google search but these are some of the most common ones. And since I don't use windoze some of mine are different than some of the windoze ones.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »

Brendhan
OK, I have to admit, there is a couple more that I use, but I seriously did not realize so very many, eeks!!!  Don't you like windows?  Great day. Cindi

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 11:24:03 PM »

I like those ALT + Arrow keys A LOT!!! Thanks Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 06:16:07 AM »

Maybe v for copy/vaste? uhh..  Bad joke.  Anyway:  I guess V is used since it is close to C and P is for printing.  By having C and V close to each other, the whole process of copying is much faster.

For those who likes shortcuts, you are going to love the (free) emacs text editor wink  Keyboard combinations like Ctrl-X r t and such are thrilling smiley  The interface is not very explaining, so you have to be prepared to learn a few combinations, but when you've learned them, you can be a editing magician.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 09:04:44 AM »

Maybe v for copy/vaste? uhh..  Bad joke.  Anyway:  I guess V is used since it is close to C and P is for printing.  By having C and V close to each other, the whole process of copying is much faster.

For those who likes shortcuts, you are going to love the (free) emacs text editor wink  Keyboard combinations like Ctrl-X r t and such are thrilling smiley  The interface is not very explaining, so you have to be prepared to learn a few combinations, but when you've learned them, you can be a editing magician.

Cool, so pardon my ignorance, but what is emacs text editor, what does it do, where is it found, curious.  Great day. Cindi

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 07:26:16 PM »

Brendhan
OK, I have to admit, there is a couple more that I use, but I seriously did not realize so very many, eeks!!!  Don't you like windows?  Great day. Cindi

No, I despise windoze with a passion. BSOD(Blue Screen of Death), viruses, trojans, patches and service packs that break more than they fix. Restrictive EULA's (End User License Agreements) that mean if I wanted windoze and office on the computers in my house I would be out a couple of grand. Considering the XP and 2003 full versions are both over $200 (retail) and M$ office is over $300 (retail). FreeBSD retail is about $80 if I buy it retail and openoffice.org is about the same if I buy it retail and I can buy it once and load it on as many machines as I want I save a great deal.

The only reason I have windoze on a machine is because I use autocad (another highly expensive program). So I have one machine with windoze (it's a dual boot) so I can spend time fixing the mistakes overpriced and over educated engineers and architects make.

Back to shortcuts.
Being that I hang with geeks. The deal we made was to try and find as many keyboard shortcuts and methods out there so we could limit our using a mouse.
We managed to restrict on our best day to 3 times. None us got lower than that but there are others out there (ubergeeks) who can do none.

SHIFT+DELETE: Delete selection immediately, without moving the item to the Recycle Bin   (be careful)
CTRL + LEFT CLICK  When want to copy some files but not others in no paticular order you can move you mouse over the file or folder and hold down the CTRL button and left click each file as you move the mouse over it. When you have selected the stuff you want to move/copy/delete then release the CTRL button and go to you next action.

SHIFT + LEFT CLICK When you want to copy a section of files or folders in group move your mouse over the one on top ,  left click then move the mouse to the bottom of the selection and press the SHIFT + LEFT CLICK and you will highlight everything from your top to where you decided was the bottom of the section you want.

Both of these are handy for dealing with large amounts of information in one fell swoop.

CTRL + Z Undo the last command . Very handy if you didn't mean to delete that stuff.

ALT + HOME go to your home page.

CTRL +/- Increase/Decrease the size of text on a web page. Please understand this will not work with poorly coded  html pages but if your vision needs a little help and less strain this is very nice.

CTRL + 0 returns page to normal size

Okay there are some more. Enjoy.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 05:40:07 AM »

Cindi,

I wrote you a long answer about emacs yesterday that for some reason got lost (guess I forgot to actually post it, ugh).  Today my time is short, and hence also my answer.

emacs is mainly used by programmers and system administrators.  It handles only regular text (no text formatting like font sizes etc).  It is extremly powerful and with its own built in programming language also very versatile and extendible.  It is not famous for being easy to use, and it took my a long time to get used to it, but now I can't live without it.  More info can be found here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »

Cindi,

I wrote you a long answer about emacs yesterday that for some reason got lost (guess I forgot to actually post it, ugh).  Today my time is short, and hence also my answer.

emacs is mainly used by programmers and system administrators.  It handles only regular text (no text formatting like font sizes etc).  It is extremly powerful and with its own built in programming language also very versatile and extendible.  It is not famous for being easy to use, and it took my a long time to get used to it, but now I can't live without it.  More info can be found here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

eivindm
Sounds like it might be fun to dabble in, I'm going to check it out when I have a few minutes to just browse.  Great day. thanks. Cindi.  Eeks.  If I am going to type a lengthy item, I compose it in word, save it to my desktop, copy it into the place I need it,then delete from my desktop.  I hve learned the hard way about losing data entered.  Its a bummer!!!

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 08:46:31 AM »

Brendhan

No, I despise windoze with a passion. BSOD(Blue Screen of Death), viruses, trojans, patches and service packs that break more than they fix. Restrictive EULA's (End User License Agreements) that mean if I wanted windoze and office on the computers in my house I would be out a couple of grand. Considering the XP and 2003 full versions are both over $200 (retail) and M$ office is over $300 (retail). FreeBSD retail is about $80 if I buy it retail and openoffice.org is about the same if I buy it retail and I can buy it once and load it on as many machines as I want I save a great deal.

The only reason I have windoze on a machine is because I use autocad (another highly expensive program). So I have one machine with windoze (it's a dual boot) so I can spend time fixing the mistakes overpriced and over educated engineers and architects make.

Back to shortcuts.
Being that I hang with geeks. The deal we made was to try and find as many keyboard shortcuts and methods out there so we could limit our using a mouse.
We managed to restrict on our best day to 3 times. None us got lower than that but there are others out there (ubergeeks) who can do none.

SHIFT+DELETE: Delete selection immediately, without moving the item to the Recycle Bin   (be careful)
CTRL + LEFT CLICK  When want to copy some files but not others in no paticular order you can move you mouse over the file or folder and hold down the CTRL button and left click each file as you move the mouse over it. When you have selected the stuff you want to move/copy/delete then release the CTRL button and go to you next action.

SHIFT + LEFT CLICK When you want to copy a section of files or folders in group move your mouse over the one on top ,  left click then move the mouse to the bottom of the selection and press the SHIFT + LEFT CLICK and you will highlight everything from your top to where you decided was the bottom of the section you want.

Both of these are handy for dealing with large amounts of information in one fell swoop.

CTRL + Z Undo the last command . Very handy if you didn't mean to delete that stuff.

ALT + HOME go to your home page.

CTRL +/- Increase/Decrease the size of text on a web page. Please understand this will not work with poorly coded  html pages but if your vision needs a little help and less strain this is very nice.

CTRL + 0 returns page to normal size

Okay there are some more. Enjoy.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
Brendhan
Sounds like you may be in an architectural field?  Autocad?  I was really impressed with what you were saying about the above.  I use do use most of the shortcut keys that you speak about.  I actually rarely use the mouse, but I certainly do not have the use of it restricted to 3 times per day, LOL.  One that I find so useful is control + home to get to the beginning of something and control + end to get to the end.  There are others, yes, control + z is another very common one, I make many mistakes.  thanks for your input into your opinion, opinions are always good.  Great day. Cindi

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »

Here is a little page to help you with some of those shortcuts:
http://lesliefranke.com/files/reference/firefoxcheatsheet.html

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »

Brendhan, thanks, gonna check it out.  Great day.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next