Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 21, 2014, 08:04:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs and Lyme's disease  (Read 629 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: November 30, 2006, 08:38:41 AM »

OK, so let's see if there is anyone out there that is a vet, knows a vet, or plain and simply knows about health issues with dogs.  Here's the story.  Every year one of our dogs always gets a tick on her muzzle.  I think that she does because she is the one that really loves to do nothing but guard our place.  We have a very large pine tree within the confines of our fenced yard, and this is one place where she frequents. 

I have noticed over the past year or so that she is doing something rather strange.  Only this one thing, she is very healthy and happy.  But at night when she is sleeping, or rather trying to sleep, she does a motion with her jar that sometimes wakes me up, it is very pronounced.  I am wondering if she has sustained Lyme's disease from a tick.  I don't know if this an affliction that is only common to humans, but I wonder if it may also be transmitted to dogs.  I could only describe it as she is chewing on gum, I used to think that is may have been some sort of strange seizure. 

I am fully aware of seizures in dogs, we had one that had full blown seizures and was on medication for this, only to have to be put down due to continuing grand mals.  So, I do not think it any form of seizure.  She makes kinds of a noise, described as clicky, smacky, sound, but is hard to define.  Lyme's disease affects the central nervous system, I have read that.  Any guesses or knowledge about Lyme's in carnivores would be appreciated.  Great day.  Cindi
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:44:44 PM by beemaster » Logged

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kensfarm
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:12:55 AM »

Probably just a doggy dream! 
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »

Nope, this has been going on for quite some time.  She even gets up sometimes to get a drink of water, this action makes her thirsty.  Sometimes when she is (I watch her sometimes) opening her mouth, there is only what I can describe as as a shudder in her jaw.  She is not dreaming, cause she is not even asleep (LOL).  Great day. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next