Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 09:46:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm getting a tour of the Carrier GHW Bush  (Read 1150 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: November 29, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »

Hi All:

It is still preliminary word, but management says that our work crew will be going to the ship yard to visit the Air Craft Carrier George Herbert Walker Bush - the LAST of the STEAM BASED carriers to serve.

Starting with the Clinton, the new EMAL (ElectroMagnetic Aircraft Launch) based system will be implemented. Thus, the job my workforce has carried out for decades ends (in theory) with the Bush.

Our jobs will still be the same to test, retrofit and service Carrier Valve Launch Valve for decades to come in all steam based carriers afloat and in service - so we aren't going anywhere soon. But even the EMALS is being BUILT at Navy Lakehurst, less than 1/8th mile from my current work location - strangely enough, we even supply that new facility with heat.

I'll post updates on visiting the Carrier Bush - I have seem images and even video of its construction. To stand aboard a ship of such proportions is humbling, to know that upon completion 5000 men and women will server their country upon this floating sovereign city of US soil will be something everyone will be able to take pride in.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »

wow.  That sounds cool.  One of your smaller carriers visited Oslo last year, but because of security issues we didn't get anywhere near the ship.  I'd loved a trip on one of the big ones as Bush.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »

I've got tourist envy!!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:57:42 PM »

they are impressive.  my father, husband, and oldest son served on air craft carriers.  the Enterprise, and the Kitty Hawk.  It was odd to have my husband and son serve on the same ship almost 20 years apart! 

After a few months in the yard in Bremerton, the enterprise was moved back to it's home port which at that time was Alameda, ca.  to save moving costs, and do something fun for the families, we were allowed to make the 3 day trip home aboard ship.  it was a blast, and probably a contributing factor to my later joining the military. 

i will also fess up to being one of the few people probably to ever suffer sea sickness on a carrier,  and that only a couple of miles out to sea.  it may be that my choice of reading material contributed.  i read the Poseidon Adventure on that trip smiley

if you are allowed to take a video camera, and they have the radar fired up, have some aluminum foil with you.  it helps shield the camera.  otherwise, you will end up with a great deal of interference on your tape.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:37:53 PM »

I AM OSCENELY DANGEROULSY JELOUS!!!!!!!!!!

What I would give for a tour of a US carrier,you dont wanna know. Wink

I went aboard the old HMAS Melbourne:

Modified Majestic Class Light Fleet Aircraft Carrier
Builder   Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Barrow-in-Furness, England
Laid Down   15 April 1943 as HMS Majestic
Launched   28 February 1945, by Lady Anderson, wife of the Chancellor of the Exchequer
Commissioned   28 October 1955
Displacement   15 740 tons (standard) 20 000 (full load)
Length   701 feet 5 inches (overall),
Flight Deck   690 feet 8 inches
Beam   80 feet 2 inches
Width   112 feet 6 inches (overall)
Draught   25 feet 5 inches
Machinery   Parsons single reduction geared turbines, 2 shafts
Horsepower   42,000
Speed   24 knots
Range, miles   12 000 at 14 knots, 6 200 at 23 knots
Radars   Air Surveillance LW-02 (Type 944/954 IFF Mk 10
Integrated.
Surface Search: Type 293
Carrier-controlled approach: SPN-35
Navigation: Type 978
Armament   25 x 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns
Aircraft   Originally 8 Sea Venom fighters, 16 Gannet anti-submarine aircraft and up to 2 Bristol Sycamore helicopters.
Later 8 A4G Skyhawk fighter bombers, 6 Grumman S2E/G Trackers, Westland Wessex anti-submarine helicopters and Sea King anti-submarine helicopters.
Complement    1 355 (includes 347 Carrier Air Group personnel
1070 (75 officers and 995 sailors) as Flagship
Pennant Number   R21
International
Call Sign   VKLP

Imagine having only that many fighters on a carrier!! In those days they relied on other vessels for defense, not like to day where a carrier will destroy anything within a thousand miles if it wants to!Scrapped in the 80s for razor blades. A sad day for the Australian Navy. We have no cariers now.

HMAS Melbourne was a jinx ship. It collided with HMAS Voyager in 1964 with the loss of 84 lives and in 1969 tragedy again struck when she sliced USS Frank. E. Evans in two, with the loss of 74 US sailors.

I was just a boy. It led me to try to join the navy as a Submarine cadet, but they checked my dodgy forged parents signature and that was the end of that.

US carriers dont visit my state, as the bay isnt big enough for them. However the visit just about everywhere else in Australia. The US has become a lot more secretive about Carrier movements in recent times, so you dont get a lot of notice.

I plan to fly down to Hobart which is only 45 min away and about $150.00 return, next time one is in port on R&R.

I have been aboard USS Antietam, which is my pet US Ship. I was given full access to the ship, I couldnt believe it at the time and still cant. It was an amazing experience and one I will never forget.

I have been drinking out of my Antietam coffee mug at work for about 10 years i think.

This is a great site for those nautically inclined http://www.navy.gov.au/spc/history/shiphistorymain.html
buzzbeejr
Josh
Youth Group
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 02:53:10 PM »

John please take me with you grin

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next