Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 02, 2014, 12:38:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rust on apple trees aka. cedar rust problem  (Read 834 times)
vabeeguy
New Bee

« on: November 20, 2006, 05:50:24 PM »

Does anyone know the best way to treat this problem, my trees are going into thier 5th year and were 3 year trees when I planted. I have the bees to consider also. The trees develop blotches on the leaves and rust colored fuzz on the fruit which it seems to deform. This is the only problem I have with trees, all other fruit types are healthy and bearing well.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:47:25 PM »

It is called (Locally at least) Apple scab, and is also found on pear trees.  My father use to use a dust that he sprayed on the trees to prevent it but I don't remember what it was.  I'm hoping that over the next few years As I get into every last nook and cranny that I find some.  It's really surprizing what I've been finding around here since my parents died.
It usually falls in to one or two catagories: Heirlooms or junk and usually both.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
mark
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:40:45 PM »

cedar apple rust occurs in cool damp weather and can be treated with copper dust or copper soap (ie. soap shield available @ gardens alive ).  scab occurs in warm damp weather and sulpher is used to treat.  both require fallen debris to be removed to prevent reinfection
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next