Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 09:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the deal here?  (Read 1310 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: October 25, 2006, 05:01:45 PM »

I keep getting these emails from Paypal. Some saying my account has been limited. Some say someone is using it or something or other. And one today saying my credit card has been used on two of my paypal accounts, (which having two accounts is strictly forbidden.)

Well gee whiz man.... As far as I know I have never used my paypal account for anything. Not real sure I even have one. Never bought or sold anything through Paypal.

So just what kind of scam is Paypal trying to pull anyways?

I get these things daily.... several times.... two different email addresses.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »

Hey Jerry:

I downloaded the new Internet Explorer 7 - with a Phishing Filter - a program designed to check the verification of major sites like EBay, Paypal, etc., for their authenticity. Obviously this is a Phishy site and delete it right away AFTER reporting it of course.

I get my fair share of EBay Phishes and report each one - each of the real services list on their sites how to report them and they both state that ONLY MESSAGES (embedded in your account after signing in) are official, no emails of any kind relative to your account are EVER sent to members.

So, if you receive information WHILE LOGGED IN, you can also bring up account info to show the possible transgression, but NEVER respond to any emails otherwise, not even to tell them to eat crap and die.

Something tells me you know most/all of this and you are just wondering if others are also receiving similar content - I haven't had anything from Paypal (which I use for donations to the forum/website) or purchasing at EBay or other Paypal accepting sites.

On a different note, I had an account setup at my favorite online poker site, lost $150 over 3 months time (not bad, I'd lose that much in Atlantic City in a half hour on a bad night) but now I just play their free 7 card stud and occasionally holdem. But my point is, I had setup a foreign bank and since closed the account knowing the rules of Online gambling has strictened greatly.

Anyway... These redirect phony phishing sites are dangerous and can lead to you losing a lot of money and more importantly identity theft. A topic that you and I have spent hours conversing on, surely no one can disagree that these phishes are aimed at all of us. Hope that helped some.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:28 PM »

I get emails all the time about some one from over seas needing to put millions into someones account, or a bank needs updated info for my account, which I don't have an account there, or various others. But I just have to wonder about this paypal thing. I know all those others are scams wanting my money or info to ID thief me, but I have been wondering if these are really from paypal and why would they be trying to get my info. Do they just want me to set up an account..... or could it bee some fake claining to be paypal.

No I don't mess with them. But I also don't know how to block them out. On Yahoo ofcourse is thier spam filter, but all I can find on "outlook" is "block sender" . Now that works a little except for these emails wanting me to invest in stocks. I get several of them a day and they are always under another name.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 06:02:35 PM »

This is what the last one has to say;

Dear PayPal Member

Closing Accounts and Limiting Account Access

This is your official notification that your account has been Limited. We recently reviewed your credit card and it seems that you are using the same credit card for 2 accounts. As you can read in our User Agreement ( section 2.13 ) opening multiple accounts is strictly forbidden. You are now requested to provide information relevant to your account. PayPal will investigate the matter promptly and if the investigation is in your favor, we will restore your account.
PayPal Email ID PP 124770

How can I restore my account access?

Please  click here and complete the steps to remove limitations.

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your account access.

Copyright © 1999-2006 PayPal. All rights reserved.
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

The HTML graphics in this message have been displayed. [Edit Preferences - What's This?]

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

delete those emails and do not give info.  this is an old trick.  these emails are not from paypal.  they are designed to get you to give some bad guy on the other end, info with which  they can steal your identity, or use your credit card number.

if you have questions about your paypal account, go directly to the site and log onto your account.

every once in awhile i get a slew of these and then they seem to go away.  my husband just got hit with a bunch of them over about a month long period.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 11:27:23 PM »

yeh I was getting them also Jerry and knew they were spam, so I got use to deleting them because they say they were from paypal site, but one time I deleted the real one and they closed my paypal account, well at least when its closed nobody can use it, not even me  wink ,  I have never tried to activate it again

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 05:37:28 AM »

i get those too and just delete them. they are trying to get your bank account information so they hit you up for a loan never to be repaid.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:55:12 AM »

Quote from: Jerrymac
On Yahoo ofcourse is thier spam filter, but all I can find on "outlook" is "block sender" .

The spam filter is at the mail server, not the client ('outlook').  If you can access your mail thru a web interface,  most of the time it can be set up there. If not, contact your ISP for help.

You can also forward the paypal ones to spoof@paypal.com  and they will investigate and shut the site down.  I think it works for ebay as well (spoof@ebay.com).

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next