Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 06:41:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capped honey gone bad?  (Read 1230 times)
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« on: August 04, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »

Wife comes home and says she sold all my pint jars and needs more right before I get a call of a store in town that wants to buy the rest of my honey I can bottle.  That's the good part.   So me and the now 4 year old go to the apartment where I have been keeping the honey.   The remaining supers have been sitting down there for 2 weeks after being taken out of the freezer.   I start to extract the 2 super and as I am uncapping and playing with the 4 year old, I just happen to look down and see bubbles in the comb.   Fully capped and starting to ferment.  What the frak?  I set that frame in the sink and cut one side of frame and it has bubbles forming to.  I went and took some pics for ya'll. 
Questions:

1. Why did capped honey go bad?
2. Did I ruin the honey in the cappings tub with what little from a frame and a half of cappings went in there?
3. Should I worry about the other honey bottled and sold/unsold?
4. Should I spend $100 and make mead?

I have seen honey go bad in uncapped frames, but you can see these we just uncapped.
harvey
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »

I took a frame of fully capped honey earlier this year about a month ago from one of the deeps,  I didn't notice any bubbles but the honey was very thin the caps almost looked wet, and the flavor was off,  I am not sure if it was fermented or just weird honey but if it all tasted like that I would be off honey in a hurry,  almost a watermelon kind of flavor?   
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »

This honey did not look very thin.  I gave it the shake test.   And it was sweet, as honey.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »

Allen, was there an off odor...or taste?  When you freeze the honey contracts in response to the cooler temp. I've just not heard of it contracting enough to pull air through the wax cap before...seems possible though. I'd say if it tastes and smells ok it's fine.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »

It had sat out of the freezer for 2 weeks.   I run a dehumidifier that blows on the supers.   The space has the A/C set at 65.  Bubbles did not form for about a minute after the caps were removed.  I might just hold on to the bubble frames for a week or two to see if the taste changes.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »

i bet there was air in the honey from the freezing and it just bubbled to the top when you uncapped it.  i'd extract it and put it in a separate bucket.  if it's ok in a couple of weeks, it's probably ok forever.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »

I have never had any of the froze supers do that before.
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »

there should be a way without buying a an advance chem set, that would show amount of alcohol and or the amount of yeast in the honey
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »

if you have one of these it might help

try this
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next