Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Once robbed....  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Once robbed....
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
..are one's hives more than normally vulnerable for the near future? Both of mine were hit hard today taking me by surprize. I have had no problems during earlier dearths or when I was feeding in the spring (I was even using  Boardman feeders then).

I have been feeding syrup via 1 gal. pail feeders located inside the hives with a full width opening below the bottom brood boxes. I had also left the small top entrance open on the front of my inner covers - perhaps that was a mistake as the pail feeders are just inside sitting on top of the covers.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Once robbed....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »
I would reduce the bottom entrance and close the top one.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Once robbed....
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:11:46 AM »
Did that this afternoon. Curious as to whether it should remain that way for the duration of the time that I will continue to feed.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Once robbed....
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:13:55 AM »
pdmattox,

By the way, ever go swimming in the Itchetucknee river?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Once robbed....
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
I would leave the entrance reducer on till spring and yes we love the Itchetucknee.  The river is about 20 miles or so from the house.   good luck.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Once robbed....
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »
Well, we'll see. I still had not re-organized one of the hives (the bigger of the 2) for winter yet and it definitely needs to be done. The queen was in the top-most honey super laying a week ago. I was going to do it yesterday as the weather was hot and still but then the robbing started up. Not real excited about going into a huge, agitated hive (possibly both hives if I decide to shift brood, honey, etc) and embarking on the relatively lengthy process of winterizing with robbing going on.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Once robbed....
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 03:58:58 PM »
IMO running a hive with more than 1 entrance is asking for robbing.  Bees usually prefer a top entrance to a bottom one and will often abandon a bottom entrance if an upper one is used.  It is better to do away with any bottom entrance at all when opting for an upper entrance.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Once robbed....
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 01:41:05 PM »
Once the robbers know where to find a free lunch they usually come back.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen