Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 11:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fermented Honey From Hive Beetle  (Read 808 times)
heaflaw
House Bee

« on: August 09, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »

Small Hive Beetles just arrived in my area.  Yesterday I uncapped & extracted 12 frames (4 gallons) before I tasted it & realized I had mixed in some fermented honey, apparently caused by SHB.  After I realized it, I smelled the empty frames and 3 of them smelled fermented.  I have 5 more supers sitting in my kitchen that I won't be able to work up until Monday afternoon.
Is there a way to tell before I uncap a frame, if SHB larva are in it and it has fermented?  Should I freeze it overnight & work it up on Tuesday?  I guess I ruined all 4 gallons by mixing in some honey that was fermented.  Can I feed it back to the bees?
Any advice from you guys that have been dealing with SHB would be appreciated.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »

Were the fermented frames capped? Were they slimed?
If you have SHB you would be wise to extract your other five supers quickly! SHB eggs hatch in a matter if days and you could have a mess. Freezing will stop the process. It would take a lot of freezer space for 5 supers.

As for your 4 gallons, make mead or feed it back to the bees.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
heaflaw
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »

Thanks, Steve
All frames were capped.  What do you mean by slimed?  I didn't look closely, but I didn't see anything odd about the capped honey.  Should I be able to see that they contain larva?
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »

I have never seen it fermented from shb without larvae present. Also you would see comb teeming with adult beetles. And you will know the difference Sad! At least that has been my unfortunate experience.

And as stated above slimy --- as in a coat of slime on the comb, often oozes out the bottom boards when it happens on a hive.

You said the frames where capped, could they have fermented from moisture gathering before extraction???

John 3:16
heaflaw
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »

I started extracting an hour after taking the supers off, so I don't see how they could have picked up moisture.  The frames that I smelled fermentation in after extracting had definitely been uncapped.  I think I just went so fast without thinking, that I must not have noticed slime or larva or whatever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next