Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 04:18:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bee Sugaring  (Read 1023 times)
rayb
House Bee

« on: August 29, 2006, 09:16:59 AM »

At the end of July I did  a 24 hour mite check (no powdered sugar treatment) and found 5 mites. On 8/21, I gave my bees a powdered sugar treatment , installed the SBB tray, and 24 hours later counted 55 mites. A week later, on 8/28, I did another count ( no further sugaring) and found another 50 mites.

My Question: I understand the sugaring will have an immediate effect of causing mite dropping, but does it also continue to act on them for some time?

Thanks, Ray
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:00:55 AM »

5 mites in July, a sugar shake in August with 55 mites. That should tell you how fast the mites will build up.  a 10 fold increase in a month.  The Shake knocked off a bunch but a week later more brood had hatched (along with more mites).  The 50 mites a week after the shake shows you the amount of buildup was in the comb with the brood.  In order to continue a decrease in mites you should do a sugar shake 3 times about every 10 days.  If such a situation you will see a decrease in mite count.  If you were to go back out and do another mite count it will probably be above 60 due to continued hatching.  For Mites shake 3 times with sugar.  And then do it again after a month or so.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
rayb
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:56:42 AM »

Thanks Brian, I now have a good use of my Labor Day weekend. I will sugar again and check the drop counts. Your info is appreciated.

Thanks, Ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next