Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 05:32:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i remove the second brood chamber  (Read 1076 times)
tom
House Bee

« on: September 19, 2006, 09:16:07 PM »

Hello

I am wondering if i should remove the second brood chamber because they have no honey stored up there and they are staying in the bottom part and not even going to the top. They are working like crazy but we just got some rain and they are saying it is going to be in the 40s and later in the week back in the 50s at nite and in the 70s during the day.I have removed my other supers from my second hive which they did not even touch but all three are fanning and humming.

Tom
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:39:16 PM »

I would pull it if there is not any stores, at least I would in my part of the world.

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:08:44 PM »

With winter coming space that does not contain stores is a deteriment to your bees.  Take off any empty or partially full supers in order to improve its chances to survive.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
tom
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:25:45 PM »

Hello

Mr.Bray and the rest of you guys i will pull it when the sun comes out and it is warm. I also would like to know if i should go ahead and start feeding them so they will have a good start on storing for the winter since they are calling for cool wheather and the nites are going to be cold also so my queens should be slowing down but in my hive#1 and three are still going full blast but the new queen in two is laying even thou the yellow mark is gone and she is laying small solid patterns so how long should i feed and should i give them some honey-b-healthy.

Tom
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:37:32 PM »

You can begin ro feed if you insist.  I would wait for a week or so since they are still bringing in a good deal of nector.  Once you start feeding do so until all but a small arc of brood on about six frames are full of honey.  You want to force the bees to back fill as much comb with syrup as they will take yet still have a small area to grow brood for keeping the population stable during the winter.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next