Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 10:46:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weak Queen?  (Read 1017 times)
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« on: July 25, 2006, 11:53:04 AM »

My second hive which i got mid-june is still not expanding in numbers. The pattern of brood looks good, but it only covers about 4 boards of a deep, and they wont expand into a med. super i added. They have not drawn out anything new and my population seems to be stagnant. I have never seen the queen, but eggs and larvae. Alsoo, the cappings and brood area seems "dry' as compared to my other hive which seems so robust and "juicy". If I decide to repalce queen, how do i find this queen? Also, when replacing queen, how do I go about it? How do I use vanilla to ease acceptance? When do I do this? I leave for vacation for ten days on 8/5/06. Would feeding help this weak hive in lieu of repalcing? Newbie questions for sure but thanx in advance!!!!!!!!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »

i am a noob too but i would take a frame of capped brood from the strong hive and give it to the weak one.
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:27:49 PM »

That's what I would do, add a frame of capped brood, if not two.  From each frame of brood will emerge 3 frames of bees (so I'm told).  There seems to be a critical population level a colony needs to reach relative to the resources and space available before going into rapid growth.  How many frames are drawn in the lower box, and what do they have stored there besides brood?  Feeding may cause a loss of laying area and complicate the problem.  As for getting them into the upper box, it may help to bring a frame or two of brood up there, if possible, given the different size boxes.

-- Kris
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »

They won't go into the medium if it is just foundation, at least at this point.  If they only have 4 drawn frames, then this is just extra space they have to defend (and heat, although at high summer I don't consider this an issue).

If the brood pattern is good then it isn't the queen.  If it is spotty then maybe.

Make sure the entrance is reduced and then feed them if you aren't (taking caution not to cause robbing), this will help them draw out foundation.  A frame of capped brood will give them a good boost and provide extra young bees to generate wax.

Rick
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:31 AM »

What is the condition of the frames? What is the brood pattern and how much of the frame is dedicated to brood?  Is the pattern uniform or does it have holes (of grouped cells not individual) of pollen and honey in the area the brood is in instead of along the top?
The frames should be 70-80% brood.  
If not there are clusters of honey and pollen in the midst of the brood pattern (looking much like it had been shot with huge buckshot--hence the name) the hive is either honey bound or in need of a new queen, or both.

And yes, a hive can be honey bound and not move up into a super, especially if it is foundation.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next