Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 10:05:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a difference the slatted rack makes!  (Read 6065 times)
Zoot
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »

Brian -

Why use 1" dowels? Is there an advantage to this size? The one rack I've seen that used dowels used thinner stock, maybe 3/4" or even 5/8". I never questioned the guy who made it so his choice could have been arbitrary.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 02:32:10 AM »

The 1" doweling is the closest I can get commercially to the width of the top baqr of the frame or the thickness of the comb.  Proper alignment of frames and slats lets all parrasites fall through and if you're using a SBB they fall out the bottom.  Also the roundness of the doweling doesn't give any ledges for errant parasites to land on.  If they hit the slat they usually keep on going.  One final advantage is that the roundness of the doweling actually allows for more bees to gather between the slats as they can piggy-back.

I hope that answers your question.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 08:01:14 PM »

Another believer in the slatted rack just join the ranks. After weeks of watching my girls beard up the front of the hives after their long day on the job, I installed my racks last weekend and noticed the results tonite. More than half of the beard is gone in all 3 hives. Soon it will be time to try the rack as a Queen excluder, but there will be some modifications to them to work properly, way too much space on the underside.  Cheesy
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 12:05:26 AM »

Which is why I designed mine the way I did.  The 1 inch doweling centered on a 1 3/4 board allows 3/8 inches above and below the dowel.  This eliminates the free space.  The other solution is to use 1 x 1's instead of the dowel but 1 x 1's are really only 3/4 x 3/4, so the spacing is all out of wack.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Zoot
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 11:07:35 AM »

Brian,

I actually made the rim of my slatted racks 1 1/2 inches high with 1 inch dowels centered. Do you feel that there is enough room for the bees to move comfortably above and below the dowels?
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »

As lomg as you have at least 1/4 inch on each side of the dowel you'll be fine.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next